Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
How can you "SEE" what topics to start? They don't exist until you start them. If you're saying you can't see the topics to start a new thread under, click the list next to the bubble that says NEW.

As for the rest, you can look at the posts listed under the New bubble, or you can click the topics list and it shows how recently the last post in that forum was made.

It isn't very difficult.

I will say, the recommended reading has been entertaining...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm on another forum that has adopted this new format. Gun and Game. If there's any problem with it there the administration actually communicates with the membership.

However not much can be done with the basic template.

But I've been having trouble also. For whatever reason new posts to older threads are not always present

And so are some entirely new threads.

As far as response to complaints go I've not seen the Panda Patrol lately.
Not sure if they figured out everyone on this site is anticommunist and gave up.
Or they all got banned.
Maybe they all got Covid19?
Serve the little red Chicom bastards right if they did. Considering I had it last December and worry about a friend getting it as it'd probably kill her.
I've even less use for communists now more than ever.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I’ve noticed the new post issue thing under the new menu, but the most recent post time on the forum list seems pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
This formate usually needs tweaking but we have no new administrative people that have really interacted here. That I can remember at least.
So going by what I was told on Gun and Game by their admin was this format was supposed to work better with mobile devices as well as home PC's

So I figure it's one of those "Jack of all trades master of none." type of deals.

I'm no programer or network administrator but Ive seen and had to put up with how various OS's and programs don't always network very well with each other.🙄🤪
Kind of like a 🐵💕a 🏈.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
It has some issues, but with an admission price of "free", I'm not going to complain.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
John that's true I'd like to see some human activities from the mods or administration but I got a feeling it's a time budget deal right now.
Maybe this place will eventually get some more members again and advertising as well.
I need a new and better spotting scope and will have to look over what they have to offer.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
can't see what topics to respond to or start.
You might try posting like a normal person in the proper sub-forums and not using links as a title. My seven year old Grandson knows how to do that.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
One of the best features of this site is the "suggested threads" that appear after any thread. It really highlights the incredible number of posts on the exact same topic made, and the complete lack of rational structure in most of them. For me this has been educational and entertaining. I love all the "look at how many threads I've started" that are followed by a list of "look at all threads I've started" suggestions. Or the "you are stupid" followed by a list of "you are all stupid" suggestions. Definitely highlights the very small number of actual topics posted, and the inability to keep related posts in the same thread.

New visitors see this too, which I think can be a blessing or a curse. I wonder how many don't register after seeing the wide spread chaotic posts? I hope maybe one or two will see this post - I think it is worth sticking around. The amount of good info generated debunking bad information is worthwhile. It would be better if the discussions could be kept civil, but we are all guilty of responding in anger now and then.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
New visitors see this too, which I think can be a blessing or a curse. I wonder how many don't register after seeing the wide spread chaotic posts? I hope maybe one or two will see this post - I think it is worth sticking around. The amount of good info generated debunking bad information is worthwhile. It would be better if the discussions could be kept civil, but we are all guilty of responding in anger now and then.
Yeah, makes me wonder. Also when people post on topic. Like for example say Joe Bob has a question about shotgun choices and ammo for it.
And posts in the Shotgun section. Someone replies with some useful information
Then Melvin the Super Genius buts in, as usual doing his long tirade on how shotguns suck then rambles on about his PVC canned POS-CAR.
How many people wanna put up with that shit for very long?
Same thing 20 some years ago on Patriot Network. Not only were there rambling thread starts but he'd also shit up other threads like a flock of pigeons
fed exlax coated popcorn.

And now look how well he "saved" this site.🙄

He saves websites about as well as Dr Kevorkian saved patients.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
It is a same really.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yeah, makes me wonder. Also when people post on topic. Like for example say Joe Bob has a question about shotgun choices and ammo for it.
And posts in the Shotgun section. Someone replies with some useful information
Then Melvin the Super Genius buts in, as usual doing his long tirade on how shotguns suck then rambles on about his PVC canned POS-CAR.
How many people wanna put up with that shit for very long?
Same thing 20 some years ago on Patriot Network. Not only were there rambling thread starts but he'd also shit up other threads like a flock of pigeons
fed exlax coated popcorn.

And now look how well he "saved" this site.🙄

He saves websites about as well as Dr Kevorkian saved patients.
that is sig line worthy material!

well, once you figure out his schtick (seeding chaos and flinging poo), there actually is a lot of thought being generated and some good points are raised. You get the initial shock over the blatant wrongness of the post, the entertainment of the insults, and then the usually decent discussion of what is or is not workable. The scattering of everything randomly makes it hard to follow, but he ends up repeating himself constantly, so you can usually respond at least once or twice to the ramblings.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, or a drug addled one, but he would be so much better off to be civil and follow basic conventions - the stuff small kids have no problem doing. I think having an actual conversation with him over his ideas would be interesting, if he is capable of it. I'd really like to know what scenario he is envisioning. He seems to wander between MAD MAX, RAMBO, and THE ROAD. but he never describes what or why...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I agree, he does generate conversation, largely by others, of either what to do or in the "Dear Lord Never Do That!" category.

In all of the years I've seen him post with his usual modus operandi or in his case "commodus" operandi. I've never read a completely rational commentary from him. Some were close but usually insulting in a patronizing way

I know he's capable of polite conversation when not questioned but of course very defensive.

I've never read anywhere online him post" Hey I'm trying to keep my gear weight down by going minimalist and improvising because I'm getting old and have a bad back.
And I can't afford high tech light weight gear."

Or "Hey I got some nerve condition so I can't handle much recoil and noise. That's why I want a suppressor on a lightweight rifle."

Something has always nagged me about him and how he has seemed "a bit off" as Iirc Jeff Cooper has remembered him
I'm not trying to Dr Phil our Melvin or shift blame but I'm beginning to think he suffered from the long term effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Just now I got curious and looked it up. With the list of mental/social problems it might cause checking them all almost off in his case was easy.

A long time ago I know Terry Lee Ingram said he talked several times with JMD on the phone and claimed to have a rational conversation with him. For whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
new format here sucks. can't see what topics to respond to or start.
Again, I civilly ask - how is the forum supposed to tell you "what topics to start"...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts