Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shooting Chrony Gamma that is probably as old as some of the members here. Still works, just won't die. However, it is so old that it doesn't talk to USB computers.

So I finally did some digging and found a neat little gizmo on Amazon that converts serial to USB.

I did have to make a cable, but there were some how-to's on line.

This is the end result:

Tested it, and it works. I can get data from the Chrony and feed it to a spreadsheet.
I'm going to poke around and see what software I can find (preferably free) that I can use for Ballistics with the data. Otherwise it will be formulas in Excel

The USB to Serial converter cost me about $12, the cable and connectors I already had. I finished it with heat shrink tubing - that I also had.

· Administrator
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
window on right shows incoming data.
Test data is generated on the Chrony using the test button - it generates a string of 9 shots using the speed selected in the radio buttons. (I never knew the Chrony could create test data)
The column in the left window labeled "Unknown" is exactly that. I don't know what it represents, but is is always zero with the test data.

It's a lot of trial and error, even with a list of the function codes. But it is a fun project. It is written in Python, if anyone cares.

I'll be adding a lot more capabilities, as I figure out all the commands and responses. I'll be adding all the calculations and database stuff as I go. Standard deviation is probably the easiest to add up front, as the calculation isn't too involved and I have sample code to copy for that one.

· Administrator
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I’ve got standard deviation, mean, variance, and spread calculations working. I’ve also cleaned up the layout a bit. Next I work on saving shots to a simple database, followed by exporting to a spreadsheet.

at that point, it will be useable and then I’ll slowly add more features and some ballistic calculations to it

· Administrator
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here is the current version, need to clean up the export to spreadsheet, but it is useable:

the data is all generated by the chrony and is not real shot data. I kept it to 5 shot strings for testing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts