Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gunshow Saturday. A fellow had a table full of parts for the Cowboy Action Shooting guns. Among them was a large loop lever that would fit my Marlin as well as an after market trigger. I had read of those items and his prices were cheaper than Brownells gunsmith prices.

The lever is made by DRC (Dave's Custom Guns). I liked it because while its larger than the factory lever its somewhat smaller than the Wild West Outfitters lever. It measures a fraction less than 3 1/4" wide by 1 3/4" high inside diameter. Beautifully finished. Installation is a no-brainer. Just remove the screw, remove the old lever and install new one. Works perfectly and offers plenty of room for gloved hand.

The trigger is by Wild West Outfitters. Made in one piece, it replaces the factory 2 piece trigger, removes the flop and reduces the pull (on my rifle) to 2 1/2lbs crisp. Installation requires that you remove the lever and bolt. Then the buttstock is removed exposing the 2 tangs. The mainspring and retaining plate are then removed using your fingers (I used smooth jawed pliers to help). Remove 3 screws and the lower tang comes off so you can take out the old trigger. The new trigger drops right in. No real gunsmithing involved if you are handy at all.

Those two parts increase the handling and shootability of my rifle greatly. I'm going to make up some cast bullet loads and maybe go to the range tomorrow to try it out.

If you have a Winchester or Marlin lever, there are some mighty good aftermarket parts out there that can really help your gun. Best of all, you don't need a real gunsmith.

Dave's Custom Guns
4201 E. Renfro Street
Alvarado, TX 76009
(817) 783-6099

They also list a website that doesn't work right now:
www.drccustomgunsights.com

I did a search on Ebay and found some of his product listed there. Search under "Marlin 45-70" and "Marlin 1895".

RIKA :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works just fine andy. Ever heard of improvements?

RIKA :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Miss Erika,

I notice that they have the lever and follower on eBay once again. How have they worked out for you? I'd like a larger lever, but not too large, like the Wild West Guns one is. The description on eBay says it's "one finger longer and one finger taller" than the standard lever, would this be an accurate description?

On teh stainless steel follower, how has it worked out for you? Does the stainless gall and hang up in the magazine tube?

As for Wild West Guns' triggers, I hear they are great. Have you tried their "Bearproof" extractors as well?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, Miss Erika makes me feel like an old maid school teacher. RIKA is just fine. :)

I notice that they have the lever and follower on eBay once again. How have they worked out for you? I'd like a larger lever, but not too large, like the Wild West Guns one is. The description on eBay says it's "one finger longer and one finger taller" than the standard lever, would this be an accurate description?

Yes, accurate description. The lever works just great. Only a little larger and plenty of room. My Dad has average/large man sized hands and he likes it just fine. Jack (close friend) has no problem but he isn't into levers much.

On teh stainless steel follower, how has it worked out for you? Does the stainless gall and hang up in the magazine tube?

Haven't installed the SS follower yet since I'm having a problem getting the forearm and mag tube out. Brownells is of no help and haven't contacted Marlin yet. Will do so tomorrow. Shouldn't gall though because it just slides up and down.

As for Wild West Guns' triggers, I hear they are great. Have you tried their "Bearproof" extractors as well?

I have both the trigger and the extractor installed. You have to remove the stock and partially disassemble the action to install the trigger. My trigger pull is now 2.50lbs and extremely smooth with no creep. Also got rid of that annoying trigger flop.

The Bearproof extractor is actually an ejector. It flips the empty case out very vigorously and I consider it an asset. Installation is simple. Just remove the bolt, pull out the old ejector if it doesn't fall out and put in the new one. Bolt and lever back in and you're finished.

RIKA

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you for the reply RIKA (I apologize for making you feel old). Looks as if it is time to pull out the plastic and place some orders.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No apology necessary. You won't regret your new purchases.

RIKA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts