Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Barrett mod 95 and am look for help.

First does anyone know of any good ranges in south Louisiana to shoot? I have a few ranges that will allow the 50 but it is only a 100 yd range.

Any suggestions where I can purchase bulk ammo? I know about ammo man and have used him for my 223 but was looking for 500 to 1000 rnds (figure that will last me pretty much for a long time if not for good unless I decide to try my luck at matches and start reloading for quality ammo).

Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
TLB017, A site I have used for .50 cal. ammunition is http://50bmgsupply.com/. They make you fill out a one-page information sheet to get going, but I ordered 600 rounds through them and they shipped timely and they were fair-priced. Of course these are all reloads through "once-fired" military brass. Just pointing out that this is no match grade ammo. Give them a look.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
What kind of scope do you have on it?

I bought a model 95 several years ago that had a Swarovski 6x24 variable (I think that's what it was), that was completely inappropriate for this gun. Eye relief was way too short. Probably the reason the gun was being sold was because whoever owned it previously had his forehead kissed by that scope and decided he wanted a different toy to play with.

I yanked off the scope and put at Nightforce on it with a good 4 inches of eye relief. That is MUCH MUCH better.

Sorry to say I haven't fired the gun yet. And I have to admit that I just might never do so. I did like shooting the model 99, and I think this one would be just as much fun. But time has become a REAL issue lately.... :shrugs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the ammo I just put in an order for 500 rounds. You wouldn't happen to do anything special for shooting the armor piercing incindiary rounds do you(I found out that they are legal in LA)? Such as any special cleaning over the regular ball ammo that I have been shooting?

As for the scope I have the Leupold Mark 2 4-12X40 T2, it has about 3 inches of eye relief so its not to bad. The only problem I have is I could have really used some higher scope mounts, I have to press my check down into the stock ensure I get the full FOV. I actually stayed away from the swarovski scopes because of a recommendation for the shop I purchased it from due to the short eye relief. I have been hit in the head by a 30-06 and it was more than enough for blood so I can only imagine what kinda of damage it would do wijth the 50.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Just be carefull with incendiaries and tracers. They CAN start fires. Last thing you want to have to do is to see a flaming projectile spiralling off into the woods and have to go hunt it down before it sets the woods ablaze. I've got a bunch of the spotter-tracer rounds that I loaded up and almost started a fire here with one of them. I was firing at a piece of metal against a clay hill and saw a spark shoot off up over the hill to the right. So I ran on down there and looked around, but didn't see anything. But I HEARD the crackling of burning brush and looked around to find a nice fire starting up to the LEFT and now behind me. Got my shoes a smoking stomping out the fire before it got away from me. If I hadn't gotten down there real quickly, it could have gotten ugly. "Uh, dear, remember that house we used to have?......"

As for scopes, the Swarovski fixed 10x scope has pretty good eye relief, but I think it's pretty under powered for the .50. Even with good eye relief, make sure you weld your cheek to the gun and MOVE with it when you fire it. If your head stays stationary while the gun moves backwards, you still may have a problem. One problem you may have is getting the earmuffs staying sealed properly while welding your head to the gun. I used to used ear plugs AND ear muffs for this reason.

Have fun with the big boy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rich, I have some clay banks for a back stop so I guess the only fire hazard that I might have would be a rotten root in the bank. As for the welding my check to the stock I found out about needing both the hard way , the very first shot, and I made sure all following shots included both. It does make it a little more tricky to get my sight picture but have learn that if I move my bipod up one more notch it is a lot easier.
Thanks again for all the help.
Henry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts