Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. The bulk of my family of 1911s is out in AZ gettin' a spit shine by Dave Sample and Don Williams. With things being so lonely for my files and wallet these days, I thought I might get slowly started on rebuilding another old war horse of mine. I'm not sure when it was manufactured (the serial number on the front strap and barrel hood is 245NM241XX - the Xs being numbers too).

The slide to frame fit is loose-as-a-goose, and there's some peening of the front of the slide rails, although the muzzle-to-slide and hood-to-slide fits are still pretty solid. The front edge of the thumb safety notch has peened, apparently over time, and as is the case on a lot of these old guns, the trigger-pin hole is really boogered up.

I chased my way through the trigger system awhile back and did get quite an improvement - the trigger is not crisp, but it is vastly better than it was when I got it.

Once I get going, I'll try to post photos and status info as it progresses.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looks like you're staying a busy beaver...BigJon.. So far all your projects look pretty good. You defantaly have the gun bug :rolleyes: good luck with that old horse.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, G. I've studied quite a bit, but I'm not yet sure about everything, so as I said, I'm gonna go slowly.

And as for my projects all looking good so far? Well, why do you think I post such small, fuzzy photos! ;)

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
BigJon said:
Thanks, G. I've studied quite a bit, but I'm not yet sure about everything, so as I said, I'm gonna go slowly.

And as for my projects all looking good so far? Well, why do you think I post such small, fuzzy photos! ;)

Best,
Jon
Don't really matter as long as your enjoying what your doing and learning from the mistakes.Keep giving it effort and the rewards will come.Atleast you're not starting the project then get bored and shelve it like i do.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A Hi-Power is a worthy recipient of your attentions. Looking forward to progress reports.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep your fingers crossed, R - I've read and watched everything on the subject I can find, and compared to what's out there for 1911s, there isn't much!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The only work I ever did on my Hi-Power was to add stag grips and do some trigger work. I removed the mag safety and then stoned the hammer and sear. Result was a 2 1/2lb trigger pull, smooth crisp and absolutely won't follow. Now I can't use it for SD so I call it my "take no prisoners gun".

Oh, I can't call the trigger job talent; more like blind luck and I will never try another.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm going to be interested as well because soon I'l be giving that FM Hi-Power I recently picked up a make over.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a "how-to" video awhile back from www.arizonaresponsesystems.com that has some good info in it. Some of it I wouldn't do (for instance, "rounding" everything with a buffing wheel - I prefer to slowly use files so that edges are broken but not rounded). I have enjoyed and learned a lot from the video, though. One thing I'm wondering about is the barrel. As I'm sure y'all know, the lower set up is quite different, with a block arrangement rather than a link, feet, etc. Since my existing barrel is okay rifling-wise and it doesn't move at the muzzle or when I press down on the hood, that will probably be something that I'll do later, and only if I have to.

For now, the only things I already see that I'll be replacing are the springs (of course), the thumb safety, the slide-lock pin, the sear and the trigger lever. I'll do a good bit of work on the exterior cosmetics too, and I still don't know how I'll finish it - it has lots of the nice, thick, factory paint on it, and I'd prefer something a bit more tasteful. ;) Unlike the 1911 stuff I've been doing, this one will, I think, be a lot less involved a job.

Still reading . . .

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RIKA said:
I removed the mag safety and then stoned the hammer and sear. Result was a 2 1/2lb trigger pull, smooth crisp and absolutely won't follow.
Knowin' you, R, I doubt seriously if it can all be attributed to luck! I did the same, but my jobby was a LOT more involved. Went through the trigger, the frame where the trigger bar slides, removed the lever, cleaned everything out in there, removed the sear . . . basically the whole system and cleaned everything up. I did not, however, clean up the hammer/sear interface, and I can feel very precisely that that's where my continuing creep is. IN fact, I can even see the sear come up and stop for a bit before a little more nudge of the trigger finally trips it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the AGI video on the HP today. Reviewed it. If you already know how to pull an HP apart and put it back together, skip this one as you will find it utterly useless. To be fair, they did advertise it only as an "Armourer's Course."

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
AGI video = RIKA's hatred. :madeuce:

A couple of years ago I had need to totally detail strip a Ruger Mk II .22 pistol. The AGI videos were highly recommended so I bought one. Was it helpful? NO!

When the video arrived, it was labelled for the Ruger MK II. When I played it, the so-called gunsmith had a Ruger Mk I but he assured the viewers that "it was just the same except for a couple of minor differences. I cringed while he took the Mk I apart, all the while droning in his best 'put you to sleep' voice. The darn pistol was so loose that it practically fell apart.

Anyway, he finally fumbled through complete disassembly and reassembly. I think I would have learned more from a drunk monkey. I finally got the info from the net. Thats where I go now or ask questions on the forums.

$29.95 plus shipping down the tubes for a piece of junk. That would have bought me a bunch of nice lunches. :headbang:

Some of AGI's stuff might be good but I will never buy another.

RIKA

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is that the Hi Power you traded for with the other JC? Mine has that baked-on black finish. Glad to see it getting a make-over and I'm curious to see what you do with the finish.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, come on, Rika - quit sugar-coating everything! How do you REALLY feel about the AGI videos??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cbass said:
Is that the Hi Power you traded for with the other JC? Mine has that baked-on black finish. Glad to see it getting a make-over and I'm curious to see what you do with the finish.
Not sure bout the finish yet, CB. Still going through the mechanical stuff right now and trying to learn what I need to before diving in.

This is neat stuff, learning about the hi-power. Right now, I'm studying the trigger system. Got some great information from a poster over on the hipowers and handguns board to add to what I'd learned already from the Arizona Response Systems video. There is, after all, a bit that CAN be done to improve the HP trigger overall, including overtravel and that long take up. May only be possible by welding, though. So, still studying!

Best,
Jon

P.S. - And hey, y'all - don't let Cbass fool you into thinking he's just oooing and ahhing over stuff he can't do. He wanted to take the on-line course, but he's not. Know why? Because he's currently involved in another project - building a whole car OUT OF SCRATCH!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, using only what's in my pockets - no lathe! Jon's funnin' because I like shooting guns, not building them. But I've always wanted to restore a classic and I think I've found a candidate. I'll know Saturday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts