Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all I can find on the Nikon Tactical scopes and am now looking for some first-hand experiences. A fellow at GA Precision gave it generally high marks for scopes in the Leupold / NSX price range, but if any of you has first-hand experience with these, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually, a friend of mine has a picture of a Nikon scope where the focal lens turned in the tube. Stick with Leupold. Nikon makes okay scopes but for any serious recoiling arms or guns that will see any field use, get Leupold.

Mike

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the Leupolds have never done me wrong. The only glitch I've ever had with them was a Premier reticle that came loose, and which they of course repaired completely and rapidly. My interest in trying the Nikon is that I may be able to get it comparatively cheaply on an industry insider deal.

Anyway, thanks, Mike.

Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. You know I am fully aware of that. Just thought if things were equal I'd give 'em a shot. From what you're saying, though, they're not equal. That makes my decision for me.

Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll tell you what, Mike - what I'm probably going to do is just send my old M3 up with the rifle and have Chris mount that on it. It's an older model M3 - the cams turn the opposite direction from the newer M3s - but the darn thing still works like a champ. One of the things he's going to address is ditching the stock Leupold base and rings, install Badgers, and go with a stock that lets the shooter use a proper weld.

He's not going to be able to do a fully job on it though, at least if I am to keep the existing barrel which only has about 140 rounds through it. If he lapped the threads, it'd probably make it too loose. We'll just have to see what he comes up with.

Fun, fun, fun!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Eh... that works... just run the gauntlet with that barrel then when it comes time to replace it, send it back to him to get the "full" treatment.

Mike

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts