Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at 50m with a pistol, and also super-fast at 6 ft. The 2 are mutually destructive of each other. It might be possible, if a guy got paid to do nothing but shoot, as Ernie Linde used to do, by Winchester. He fired a million rds a year to be as good as he was. Probably most of it .22lr, but 500,000 rds a year,x12c a shot, is still a lot of money, and 50,000 x 2c a shot is another $1000 added to that $60,000. Ernie shot a lot of shotshells, so you can damned well bet that the average cost of his centerfire rds would be 12c a shot these days.

Since a working stiff has to choose. I sensibly choose to be super-good at what is 1000 to 1 likely to be what MATTERS, super-speed inside 10ft. For the rest, I sensibly choose a canned CAR-15, cause it makes it EASY for the somewhat skilled man to outperform the very best pistoleros.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Who cares?, and what do you mean by working stiff? I am fast enough at 2m because I retain the element of suprise, but still shoot wel oout to 50m because I practice. I am also allowed to buy guns and ammo legally, and can come out when the sun is still shining.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
I sensibly choose to be super-good at what is 1000 to 1 likely to be what MATTERS, super-speed inside 10ft. For the rest, I sensibly choose a canned CAR-15, cause it makes it EASY for the somewhat skilled man to outperform the very best pistoleros.
"Super speed inside 10ft" = faster than the fleeing foot. Very bad if you plan on doing a lot of walking.

Now, the canned CAR makes it easy to outperform the best pistoleros. Thats logical because you can't hit anything outside of pistol distance anyway with that POS. Of course your screwed if somebody takes a shot at you from any distance.

Dream on gunkid, if that makes you happy.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Any competent pistol shooter can easily learn to do both with regular practice. If you cannot there is something wrong with you.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hard Ball said:
Any competent pistol shooter can easily learn to do both with regular practice. If you cannot there is something wrong with you.
I agree completely. A drawstroke which combines a retention position, a "pointshooting" option and a fully-extended, sighted-fire apex enables a shooter to do all this easily and economically.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
No such thing as guy who's really accurate at 50m with a pistol, and also super-fast at 6 ft.
So, what you're saying is that because you're a one trick pony, you think everyone else has to be also.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. What's super accurate and super fast? I can tell you, to the best of my knowledge, none of the super fast guys like Leatham also hold world records in Bullseye. However, accuracy and speed are not mutually exclusive. They can peacefully coexist. When you get right down to it, the vast majority of shooters will never be either "super fast" or "super accurate", but who gives a rip?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd say that Doug Koenig is.

Winner of the Masters International Pistol Championship, in addition to winning the overall title, Koenig won the handgun action, handgun precision, and the long-range event – the three events that comprise the aggregate.

He's one that Title several times over hasn't he?

He's won the Steel Challenge a few times and is an IPSC world champion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are more than just Doug. Want a laugh, think about andy's post about Brian Enos. Andy is talking about Brian's awesome .12 splits. In the day, Brian was one fast shooter. But people forget Brian came into IPSC from PPC and he is deadly at the fifty yard line. He also won the Bianchi Cup twice, can't do that if you can't shoot a group.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Dipstick, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt! Nobody can shoot themselves in the foot as fast as you can! Least nobody I've ever met.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just for giggles I'm Zomie'ing this thread.

I do think there are some that can hit fast at close range and be accurate at distance with a pistol.

It's just having enough fuctioning snapses to judge what is needed to take care of a threat. And honing one's skill at both of course.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Some guy near where I live shoots about 600 rounds a day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I don't know him or why he is doing this, but I can tell it is of the same caliber/same gun.

Whatever he is doing, he should be getting pretty good at it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Some guy near where I live shoots about 600 rounds a day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I don't know him or why he is doing this, but I can tell it is of the same caliber/same gun.

Whatever he is doing, he should be getting pretty good at it.
I bet he is! And if it's a common gun he can get anywhere he will be able to arm himself very easly and well!

·
Registered
611 Posts
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." --Wyatt Earp

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I have a friend, who retired when he hit 60, and part of his retirement was to hit the range every day there wasn't snow or rain and fire 50 rds through is Colt Single Action Army. If he made it to the range 190 times a year, not including Cowboy Matches, he fired at least 9,500 rds a year in practice. Nobody could argue with his ability with a SAA. Damn that seems like a real good way of spending the time, reloading and shooting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts