Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, going prone, etc. Even in good light, no smoke, dust, fog, snow, or rain. Use whater rest you want for your rifle, anysight you like, any ammo, any gun, and I don't care WHO you are, you will miss such a target over 50% of the time, and that means that what hits you DO get are just luck. At 300m, you won't do better than 20% hits, nor better than 10% at 400m, either. Nobody's going to just stand around being shot at, after they are aware of your presence. At night, those ranges are cut in half, even if you DO pop flares, or have NVD capability. :) Without ear-protection, as you duck enemy fire, the odds get much worse, too.

that's why men with REAL combat experience often favored the "short ranged" .30 Carbine over the Garand. They found OUT that at typical HITTING distances, the Carbine sufficed, and they could either save 10 lbs of carry load, or carry twice as much ammo with the CArbine.

Today's scoped, 10"-barreled CAR-15 can wear a silencer, and be every BIT as handy as is the .30 Carbne, while having TWICE the effectvie range that the 30c ever had, and TWICE the stopping power of the .30 C ball rd. The latter is achieved by using good softpoint handloads in the shorty 223.

Sure you can have your stupid fantasies about how making lots of noise, being in the open in daylight, shooting at what you can't SEE, etc are good ideas, but that's all they are, fantasies. Ditto the one about how your 75 year old ass is going to run around with 70 lbs of gear. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sure Tard, keep living the fantasy. 200 yards is close range. Hitting a bobble head like you at that range would be no problem at all.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Which of course, explains why real men in combat today want something that hits farther...(Just what combat have you been in Scarecrow?)

why the M-14's are being fielded, etc.

Of course, we've been through the whole 50% thing repeatedly.

One, it's wrong.
Two, even if it were true (which it isn't), the odds would still favor the defender.
Three, the ONLY PERSON with fantasies about anyone standing in the open or shooting at things they can't see, is SCARECROW.
Four, as Hard Rock pointed, 200 yds is not long range.

sigh.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Real Combat

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
In photo #4 the soldier is shooting a M14 equipped with some sort of giant optics. What is it, please? night Vision?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Adny what hte F do you know about actual combat. Well combat out side of hte prison showers that is.

YOu are so full of shite yoru eyes are brown.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
In photo #4 the soldier is shooting a M14 equipped with some sort of giant optics. What is it, please? night Vision?

RIKA
RIKA, that is an updated version of the Starlite night vision device.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
300 yrd mover? no problem

Anyone with a good barrel and a fast cartrige can blow that away. In fact, if you had that CAR-15 POS, I bet it could even put a couple holes in the target. You dont even need your fantasy handloads.

Next time I'm out practicing in the 'glades or on private land (permission of course), I'll put up some movers at 300 and 500 yrds and take some pictures and post em as proof.

Go try it, movers are FUN! Tiny motor with battery and some cable and you can have a real blast. Pun totally intended.

And andy, I dont have some sick fantasy about being in the open during daylight or such nonsense. I wear my modified (jute and netting, but not toatally ghillie suit) digi-camo BDU for practice and hunting. My 16x scope can see just about anything there is to see. Cant say I pop flares either. But then again, why would I? I dont dream of poorly planned all out assaults. Cool covert ops mabye but thats another story.... :laugh01:

But then again Andy, your definition of hitting range is different than mine. I am teaching myself to be proficient all the way up to 1k yrds (im not on the metric system yet). My SWS can probly take a mile no issues. Ill post on that some other time though. Im sure RichZ and his .50s can relate to my long range addiction. I also bet garand has probly taken an M14 to 600 yards or more. If so I'd love to hear stories.

BTW, andy did mannage to bring up a topic I forgot about. Short ranged NVDs. I saw some add somewhere for this accessory thats aboout 3-4 inches long and has a battery power source that you attach to the back of your scope by unscrewing the eyepiece or something. I'm pretty sure it was regular GEN-III, not the new special stuff? Anyone heard of this gadget, and even better, has anyone used it?

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Its been about 12 years since I shot Service sniper Competition and depending on the match, there was some flexibility with the rifle used. As long as it was a currently issued NATO rifle, then I used a 2nd generation TRW M14. The max we shot at was 600 yds and the M14 did its job. Unfortunately in a moment of absolute, complete stupidity, I sold the rifle. I'm currently shooting a NM M1A and in the last 4 years, the longest range I've employed it at is 400-450 yds. I'm currently himming and hawing over different scopes as I find the recent one I've been using doesn't make me happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts