Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
night's motorcycle ride from LOTS of "urbanites" You aint even CLOSE to being (nor can you GET) as "remote" as you THINK you are (or can). You WILL have problems with other people, if shtf, count on it. Probably LOTS of problems, with people who have autorifles, binoculars, scopes, and the willingness and ability to use them.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
being in the open, in daylight, is stupid in hostile land

you aint in the military, you don't HAVE to do such stupid stuff, so why risk it? Hole up for daylight, stick to thick cover or darkness if you can't be holed-up.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You do realize that I can be all the way up to WV in 18 hours right? A night of driving in anything can take one many places; however, there are many places that people, particularly sheeple, simply dont go to.

I cant help but say: The fantasy continues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its a very big country. I know, I travel border to border, coast to coast. Some, if not most, is suitable for habitation. The obvious exceptions being
the desert areas. But even then, if one knows what they're doing, even some desert areas can support life. I wouldnt want to try it though, I dont know much about desert survival.

IMO, the sheeple will stay in the cities waiting on .gov to kiss their boo-boos. Those that make it out of the city will die shortly, since they know nothing but water taps and supermarkets. That leaves plenty of space for survivalist types.

BTW, this Andy is .... interesting.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Actually he does have a point. But don't wait to long to evacuate, look what happened to the evacuees from New Orleans. If the balloon ever does go up, you probably stand a 50/50 chance in the first few days on your bike as most of the bad guys won't have prepared to do even simple ambushes, remember I said "most". As you have no idea what any of us have for specific plans, you really do not have the right to rush to judgement. On the other hand you have spoken volumes on your lack of planning and preparation, perfering to shoot innocents in the back and steel their supplies. This is not a well conceived plan as you have no idea what a person in panic will have grabbed in a hurry. And the fantasy continues...........................

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
sure gunkid. 8 hours at 60 mph goes pretty far. Why I bet a night in a F-16 will get you real far. So what? How about a night walking? No, that's right, you are scared of the dark and can't walk more than 1/2 day's worth on your field trips. Why don't you get a motorized wheelchair, I bet Medicare will pay cause they pay already, right?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
if it is a hostile situation, then assuming you will encounter other people is a good assumption to operate under. This is also why you don't neuter your fighting rifle with a .22 unit, but that is a separate discussion.

Traveling at night is a good idea, providing you have two items: a compass and NVDs

An optional third item would be a good map, but that's a bonus, not a hard survival requirement. (Having one puts you light years ahead of those that don't)

Without a compass, you will not know if you are traveling in a circle or not. Everybody has one leg that is slightly shorter than the other. Everyone slightly favors one leg over the other. without the ability to track a heading (or a bearing) you will not know for certain what your path is. You cannot rely on the night sky, because of clouds, smoke, etc.

Good NVDs are necessary so you can move quietly and avoid obstacles. Without them, you are more likely to be noisy, stumble over obstacles, or wander into other people.

This is just simple advice, that most people understand.

·
Registered
718 Posts
night's motorcycle ride from LOTS of "urbanites" You aint even CLOSE to being (nor can you GET) as "remote" as you THINK you are (or can). You WILL have problems with other people, if shtf, count on it. Probably LOTS of problems, with people who have autorifles, binoculars, scopes, and the willingness and ability to use them.
Yes Melvin that's YOU a stupe of proven INABILITY!
Doing a piss poor job of trying to transfer your failings to others.😛

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Geez Melvin, 4-5 hours west and I am in the Rocky Mountains, that's if it was in my plans.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm roughly an hour and a half from some of the most inhospitable terrain that's forrest and not higher altitude.
Be I just would rather deal with the terrain here and cooperation with my neighbors.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
...You WILL have problems with other people, if shtf, count on it. Probably LOTS of problems, with people who have autorifles, binoculars, scopes, and the willingness and ability to use them.
I wonder why the inherent assumption is that the running-for-their-lives city-dwellers absolutely 'will' have all these things, while at the same time holding to the assumption that those of us still in our homes won't have them. And HD night-vision cameras, and thermal cameras, and digital night-vision scopes, and all kinds of things including the very relevant home-court advantage.

Assumptions are very dangerous things. Like the "I can go to my spiderhole" assumption. I'm in the South, in what some would label 'the deep south' for that matter, and this week and last week both, anyone trying to live in a spiderhole in the woods would be dead. In a normal winter, our county gets a total of 2 - 2.5 inches of snow over the course of the entire season. But this year we've gotten nearly ten times that. Seriously. Depending on which agency's numbers you believe, in the last nine days alone we've gotten 14-18 inches of snow on top of a half inch or so of ice. And the temperatures have been down to at least zero; likely lower. (Zero was the lowest I personally saw, but I wasn't checking through the nights.) And then next week, a spiderhole would still be equally uninhabitable due to being full of water from all this snow melting, so that's multiple weeks of shot plans for anyone who wants to do the spiderhole thing, with simply no manmade fix available. And if you somehow conjured a way to make all that magically not matter and did miraculously survive in a spiderhole in the woods, there is now (ie, NOW, this week, today) a whole lot of wild and feral animals that are substantially more hungry than usual and would love to find a warm-blooded treat in their world. Literal herds of razorback hogs, coyote packs, wolves, etc; they're all more hungry than normal now, and no matter how tough we may think we are, the fact of modern America (even for those of us not screwed up by years of Ambien and Trazodone) is that the woods is their world, not ours.

But go ahead and assume a bunch of rigid absolutes, I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts