Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
same price, too, by the time you figure the stupid waste of time, the scope, the rangefinder, etc. The CAR can handle what needs handling. and it's 10x as much fun, 10x as cheap to practice with, because of the can and .22 unit.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
High value targets are not found in the sticks. Killing thousands of grunts makes NO differenced, killing 3-4 of the RIGHT punks will make a HUGE difference. IN the cities, you'll need the can and the concealment of the CAR-15, and the rapidfire, not a stupid, noisy, non-concealable bolt action.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I much prefer the CAR-15 myself.

But I'm not getting rid of my 10FP-LE .308 with the Leupold, though. If I had to choose, it'd be the CAR I'd keep; but thankfully, I can have both.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
By a 'can' I do hope you are not referring to some cheap, homemade POS that'll get bent, knocked out of a alignment, and wear out fast during the first firefight.

Personally, I like the titanium models made by Gemtech.

As for the rifles, the CAR or an AK is really needed in or near an urban area, but once you get into the outback, you encounter ranges and conditions where a scoped, reliable, tough, accurate, bolt action rifle in a more potrent caliber comes in really handy.

The .22 unit is nice for hunting and some training, like introducing family members to shooting the AR series rifles, but for real training you really need to fire full strength rifle ammo.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Mustafa Jones said:
nutnin worse than trying to cruise around in a 5-0 caddy with bad pipes.
Actually, what might be worse is some White suburbanite pretending to be a stereotyped ***** on the web.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
mrostov said:
Actually, what might be worse is some White suburbanite pretending to be a stereotyped ***** on the web.
Dayyumm boyy, you be trippin. Don' be hatin.

Never mind. I don't have the energy to be two people, or the brain reserve to maintain two personality databases.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
No, it isn't you John, I've seen this person before though.

I'm not multiculturalist, far, far from it, nor am I big fan of *******. I just think that such behavior is childish and distasteful.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mrostov said:
No, it isn't you John, I've seen this person before though.

I'm not multiculturalist, far, far from it, nor am I big fan of *******. I just think that such behavior is childish and distasteful.

You're not the only one.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
same price, too, by the time you figure the stupid waste of time, the scope, the rangefinder, etc. The CAR can handle what needs handling. and it's 10x as much fun, 10x as cheap to practice with, because of the can and .22 unit.
I thought you had a scope on your AR?

If so, then your comment about the cost of the scope is a wash and not a consideration.

As far as being more fun, that's a subjective thing. I enjoy shooting my AR, but also my FALs and my bolt actions.

Cheap? that may or may not be a consideration for everyone.

Rangefinder is a good tool, though by no means necessary for survival. The use of one can certainly improve the odds of a good hit with your first shot. It can also be very useful for working up an impromtu range card in the field. take readings to rocks, trees, shrubs, etc and you know the ranges without having to go out and walk it.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Zapping the heads off army men with a pellet rifle is fun, too. I couldn't wiat to try that after reading about it one of Peter Hathaway Capstick's books.

I greatly enjoy sniping bugs out of the air with an airsoft pistol in summer as well.

A friend of mine has a Drozd bb gun, and that thing is a real hoot to plink with as well.

Fun comes in many forms, it seems.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
we used to take cases loaded only with a primer and one of those soft yellow earplugs and use them as bug loads. You have to manually cycle the slide, but it is fun...

Btw, don't try this at home - annoys the wife for some strange reason...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Aslan said:
we used to take cases loaded only with a primer and one of those soft yellow earplugs and use them as bug loads. You have to manually cycle the slide, but it is fun...

Btw, don't try this at home - annoys the wife for some strange reason...

Ill have to try that some day………..

My EX girlfriend (she broke up with me because I spent too much time hunting and dint listen to what she said……..or I think that what she said……lol ) well her mom had a small torch, she dint use it to burl leave pile with. SHE USED IT TO BURN bugs with :sidestep: . Inside or outside if she saw a spider she lit’em up. :flamethr: ……..lol..

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Of course a FAl-style carbine with a 16.25" barrel is a handy weapon that can be set up to wear a QD suppressor (a real one), and is both handy in close, and substantially outranges the AR in the country. (yes, a 20" AR can get out there, but it won't get out there with much.). And you also have the improved hitting power of the .308 at all ranges.

This will become less of an advantage if someone happens to buy a new 20" upper in 6.8mm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
John in AR said:
I much prefer the CAR-15 myself.

But I'm not getting rid of my 10FP-LE .308 with the Leupold, though. If I had to choose, it'd be the CAR I'd keep; but thankfully, I can have both.

John how do you like the savage? The more I hear about the acutrigger and the rifles savage make I am somewhat inclined to pass on the model 70 for a savage plus the extra money left over could be put towards better optics

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I like it a lot, although the stock has somewhat of a strange, almost "hollow" feel to it. Subjective, obviously.

It's the long, heavy barrel gun; closest thing to a "Quigley" gun I've got. Not planning to carry it all day in the deer woods, but it's pretty good for reaching 'out there' from a bench. I've got access to a 1,000 meter range, but I rarely shot it past 300. Frankly, I rarely shoot the gun much anymore; just don't take time out for it, but I enjoy being able to reach out on the rare occasion I want to (I confess, I've never "had" to), and the thing can turn in sub-moa groups with good ammo and a good shooter. To be honest, I'm only a "moa" long-range shooter at best, so I don't get all the gun has to offer, but other guys have fired it from the bench much better than I do, so I know it's not the gun's fault.

The scope's a pretty plain Leupold VX2, with standard duplex reticle. Also a Harris bipod on it; good for bench or prone, but not long enough for sitting shooting.

I never could get the trigger adjusted to where I liked it for this kind of rifle, so I had a local gunsmith put on a Rifle Basix trigger, set between 2 1/2 and 3 pounds. (Another reason it's not a woods gun, imo.)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
u r fos about needing to train (much) with 223. Ask John, with a CAN on it, the 223 handles JUST like the gun without the can and using the .22 unit. Just because YOU can't figure out how to make a decent can doesn't mean its rocket science, either.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
With the 'can' & .223's, recoil & report are very much like the .22 unit without the suppressor, but 'handling' is quite different. It adds just 5" and a pound & a half to the gun, but it's a pound & a half all right at the muzzle, so it feels like more. I actually prefer the way it handles WITH the suppressor, the extra weight dampening muzzle movement much like the stabilizer weights guys add to compound bows to dampen 'jump'. I rarely shoot it without the suppressor anymore, as it's a zero-maintenance unit with a lifetime warranty.

So it's different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since neither of you has a timer, you are clueless. It's impossible to do anything, inside 100 yds, faster with the .22 unit than can be readily matched with the 223 and can. That is proof that there is no need to train more than about 10% of the time with the 223. 90% of the non ACCIDENTAL hitting on the battlefield is done inside 100m. There's VERY little need of practicing pure accuracy slowfire with the 223, either, since the can makes it KID stuff to achieve. So the only real practicing that needs to be done with the 223 is 100-200 m super fast stuff, from offhand. There's no diff between using the canned 223 and the .22 for stuff like man torsos between 100-200m, from the bipod, or braced over the backpack, sitting, either. All you have to do is scale the targets down in size, and practice such stuff with the .22 at 1/3rd to 1/2 the distance. What it comes down to, is you are too cheap, chickenshit, lazy and apathetic to make or buy a good can for the CAR-15, that's all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts