Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
...I don't really like finger-adjustable turrets...
And yesterday encountered the exact reason I do not like finger–adjustable target turrets. I hadn’t used this gun since it had been used by several family members and relatives over the last few months; and evidently someone in the group decided it needed to be re-zeroed. When I got it out yesterday, it was shooting way high. It wasn’t even on the 6 inch plates at 25 yards when I started, so I got to checking the zero and it was more than two full revolutions off elevation-wise. Just to find where the bullets were impacting, I had to move in to15 yards, and saw that instead of hitting low at 15 yards as it should’ve been, it was actually several inches HIGH at that short distance; way, way off. I may tape the turrets down to avoid having to worry about it in the future. It would mean not being able to adjust the parallax distance, but it would probably still be worth it. That was very frustrating yesterday.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
And nobody told you they adjusted the sights? That is what would really piss me off.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Administrator
2,558 Posts
And that's why I simply refuse to loan firearms to relatives. Especially ones I know to be irresponsible.
Worst yet is the attitude some unfortunately have.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And nobody told you they adjusted the sights? That is what would really piss me off.
I’m less annoyed about it now, and thinking back on who all handled it realize that odds are they weren’t intentionally rezeroing. Probably just someone who didn’t know what it was playing with it like they’ve seen people in the movies do. Overall, really a minor annoyance. A serious-use gun wouldn’t be treated so lax.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
JMD - Personally I've never timed how long it takes to change out the normal BCG for the Ciener BCG. But when you were in your 50's you used to say it was a 20-second changeout:

Now that you're crowding 70, you claim it only takes half that time. How's that possible?

Again, unlike you, I've used a ciener kit a LOT over the last 20 years.

Question - why would installing the normal centerfire BCG be "a lot slower" than installing the rimfire adapter BCG? When installing the ciener (rimfire) bcg it occasionally hangs momentarily on the squared-off front edges of its non-standard arms (that the bolt reciprocates on), whereas the normal (centerfire) bcg slides in with no adapter-fitment issues. When all goes perfectly smooth, they go in equally quickly. When things don't go perfectly smoothly, the CF-to-RF conversion is actually the slower of the two. You could nullify this by grinding down the square front edge of those arms; that would somewhat weaken them right at the point where they hold the bolt, but it may not be enough to hurt anything. Thing is, I've never once seen you recommended getting rid of that square front edge. Sounds like another case of "I've thought about this a LOT. Haven't actually done any of it in decades, but I've thought about it a lot."

And if carried "in the thigh pocket", the bolt of the ciener adapter would easily come loose from those non-standard arms that hold it. I've more than once had it come off just riding in a soft case - in a pocket, it would happen a lot; unless you carried it in a case inside that pocket, which will slow things down considerably. And unless your pockets are a foot deep, you're likely to lose it from said pocket.

But main questions - how did you manage to get it from 20 seconds to 10 seconds, and what makes installing the conversion adapter slower than removing the conversion adapter?
yeah, if you're dumb enough to not have it in a case of some sort, I suppose you're riight. first time in your life.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
10 seconds if you're in a big hurry and you've practiced, 20 seconds if you need to be discrete about it. Anybody can learn to be twice as fast at something as their initial time at doing something that's even minorly complex.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You know John, I’m one of the few people on the net that is ever actually civil to you. Even after reading decades of your lies about me, I’m still usually pretty civil to you. But I just got off the phone with my terminally-ill wife who’s driving home from Texas after visiting her dying younger sister. And when I say dying, I don’t mean just sick; I mean so far gone that they’ve stopped her chemo and she’s not expected to see the end of the month. So you just caught me on a bad day, you cowardly buffoon...

...if you're dumb enough to not have it in a case of some sort, I suppose you're riight. first time in your life.
So now you say to keep it in a case. That’s actually a good idea, but adds another step, which unavoidably increases the required time. Keeping it in a case is a good idea since the ciener bolt comes apart so easily, but it certainly doesn’t make it quicker to swap out; and as far as I recall not something you’ve ever mentioned before.

As far as the “first time in my life” being right, how about you comment on some of your gold-price predictions? Or on your “9x21“ claims? Or on your “James Yeager SBR” claim? Or on your claims about how slow a levergun is for the first shot? We both know you won’t comment on any of them because we both know you were wrong in all of them. And your brittle, junior-high ego won’t allow you to acknowledge any error on your part. Even when those errors are made publicly and repeatedly, you’re so weak that you have to pretend they don’t exist; rather than acknowledge an error or try to defend your incorrect claims.

10 seconds if you're in a big hurry and you've practiced, 20 seconds if you need to be discrete about it. Anybody can learn to be twice as fast at something as their initial time at doing something that's even minorly complex.
Absolutely not what you said before. Multiple times you flat said “20 seconds”; no disclaimers about being in a hurry or being stealthy. You repeatedly made the blanket statement that “it takes 20 seconds”, up into your 50s. And then in your late 60s, you start making the blanket statement that it takes 10 seconds; again, no disclaimers or caveats, just a blanket “10 second” claim.

But go ahead and tell us some more of your prowess. Your claims are so ludicrous that they actually crack up those of us with actual hands-on experience. I’ve said it numerous times before John, I’m only mediocre; and I’m still leaps and bounds more competent with a gun than you are. Even though you claim “world class“ skill, and I’m just an over-the-hill hillbilly, I’ve demonstrated on video that I’m faster with a levergun than you even claim to be with an AR. That’s pretty pathetic, John..

Come on John, man up and prove me wrong. On anything I’ve said here.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
JMD - You never answered the main question in that post either:
Question - why would installing the normal centerfire BCG be "a lot slower" than installing the rimfire adapter BCG? When installing the ciener (rimfire) bcg it occasionally hangs momentarily on the squared-off front edges of its non-standard arms (that the bolt reciprocates on), whereas the normal (centerfire) bcg slides in with no adapter-fitment issues. When all goes perfectly smooth, they go in equally quickly. When things don't go perfectly smoothly, the CF-to-RF conversion is actually the slower of the two...

..But main questions - how did you manage to get it from 20 seconds to 10 seconds, and what makes installing the conversion adapter slower than removing the conversion adapter?
So again - what makes you think that swapping from rimfire to centerfire is "a lot slower" than swapping from centerfire to rimfire?

·
Administrator
2,655 Posts
a lot can happen in 10 seconds, a lot more can happen in 20 seconds. If it is a SHTF or other combat scenario, It can be over in less time than that. I wouldn't want to bet my life on anything that took longer than a mag change.

But it's all fantasy at this point anyway.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts