Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just arrived home with a box full of JLD PTR 91 rifle, two mags and 100 rounds of India-made 308. I'll clean it, lay in some sight adjustment tools and try to get some range time NLT Friday afternoon. I'm looking forward to getting to know this new acquisition and any input from this august body is welcome!
SatCong

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
PTR - Precision Target Rifle clone of the H&K 91. I've heard good things about your new baby. You should really like the H&K91 style rifle - IMO its primary strength is accuracy and totally absolute reliability (along with the M1A and FAL - beatcha to it fellas :D ).

Anyway, I really like the 91 and think you will too. Check Shotgun News for those $100.00 surplus German Army claw scope mounts and bipods. Oh, beware of that Indian made 308. Its total crap and nasty powder burning at that.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Good acquisition. Don't judge its accuracy by the ammo you bought, however. You should like it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, the gunshows in the next two weeks should take care of my ammo requirements, can anyone suggest a source for sight adjustment tools? I would like to have them in the kit for the range.
SatCong

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If you can find any hirtenberger, that's the .308 ball that fragments really well. The aussie stuff seems to be really good, as well as radway green.

:devil:

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
andy said:
it figures, from the ignorance displayed about those joke-Maks.
ALway's trying to rain on someone's
parade, aren't you? God, it must drive you wild to see forum members buying this and that, whatever strikes their fancy, and you can't buy a single shot .22 rifle. Jealousy is self-defeating. You should grow up some and learn that. :) :)

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I hope your new .308 serves you well, if not there are a wide variety of others to choose from.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Satcong- Congrats on the new rifle. But be careful of that Indian made stuff.

Melvin- It must really hurt to be you.~>;-)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I bought a couple of cases of the Hirtenberger .308 and found that nothing I shot it in really likes it much. Goes bang and throws the bullet, but getting a couple of holes to group together doesn't seem to work very well. I have a Savage bolt action heavy barrel that throws the Hirtenberger all over the paper, but with Black Hills stuff will knock out the X-ring easily.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i'm glad YOU bought it! i bought 500 rds. of indian .308 at a gun show about 5-6 months ago , granted, it wasn't the purtiest ammo, but the the guys from J-G sales asured me it was great ammo, now i've only shot about 40rd.
out of that can , but it felt/functioned fine to me, although, i havn't run it across the crony, nor printed paper with it, i do know it punchs holes throuh steel plate at 100yds. open sight/offhand standing , groups the size of your palm fingers extended 5-6 shot 'strings'

what am i missing about this hindu ammo?[i'm not concerned about the batch i picked up]

thanks.

fine choice SAT-CONG, i know my cetme is 'worthy' of a claw scope mount!
it groups tight on paper.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
brass hammer said:
, i do know it punchs holes throuh steel plate at 100yds. open sight/offhand standing , groups the size of your palm fingers extended 5-6 shot 'strings'

what am i missing about this hindu ammo

What you're missing is,
brass hammer said:
i havn't run it across the crony, nor printed paper with it
Other than its accuracy, it's fine ammo.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Go to some of the other firearms boards and inquire about the Indian stuff.

It does not have a good rep for accuracy and some question it's safety.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am properly chastised, I received the ammo in question as part of the "deal". Will be buying some Australian at the gunshow this weekend, tho...
Thanks for the input, all!
SatCong

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Rich Z said:
I bought a couple of cases of the Hirtenberger .308 and found that nothing I shot it in really likes it much. Goes bang and throws the bullet, but getting a couple of holes to group together doesn't seem to work very well. I have a Savage bolt action heavy barrel that throws the Hirtenberger all over the paper, but with Black Hills stuff will knock out the X-ring easily.
That's interesting, but different guns like to eat different stuff.

I don't use the hirt in a bolt (I use handloads there.), but I have a bunch for my FAL's and have not seen any accuracy problems with it at all. Though I do beleive the Aussie stuff groups better. I just don't know how well the Aussie fragments.

Black Hills makes some very nice ammo - in both .308 and .223

:devil:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, as usual, you folks (excepting andy) were again correct on the India Ammo. I took the new 308 to the range this afternoon. Shot two boxes of Remington thru it, with no problems--less felt recoil than my SAR 1. I then loaded a mag of the India stuff --the third round jammed the weapon, and the accuracy of the weapon was way off from the first 40 shots. I sprayed the chamber with CLP, ejected the offending brass and from then on, until I loaded the mags with some Hornady "light mag", I had FTF and FTE problems.
The son of friends was with us, he's ten, and he shot the weapon expertly, and andy, no flinching, but his hands aren't that tiny for a 10 year old pre-pubescent.
SatCong
ps-- I love the weapon (JLD PTR 91) and recommend same.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
SatCong says: "The son of friends was with us, he's ten, and he shot the weapon expertly, and andy, no flinching, but his hands aren't that tiny for a 10 year old pre-pubescent."

Yeah. I'll bet that he thinks logically too.

Glad you got a good rifle SatCong. Now all you have to do is add the goodies.

RIKA

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Apparently I have joined this bandwagon a little late. All the goodies except for sling are on backorder from various sources. Oh well, mayhaps the gun show this weekend and the next will be able to supply me with the wide forearm/bipod, sight tool, claw mount and etcetera.
SatCong

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
SatCong said:
I just arrived home with a box full of JLD PTR 91 rifle, two mags and 100 rounds of India-made 308. I'll clean it, lay in some sight adjustment tools and try to get some range time NLT Friday afternoon. I'm looking forward to getting to know this new acquisition and any input from this august body is welcome!
SatCong
SatCong - I don't make recommendations unless I have first-hand experience, and I'll tell ya, I have had SUPERB results with reman .308 fron Georgia Arms. It's my understanding that they get the used brass from Benning, and then resize it. It is topped with a Sierra 168 match bullet. The "Canned Heat", quantity loose in ammo boxes, is right reasonable. During a Randy Cain rifle course, 12 of us shot 4-500 rounds of it. Our chambers got MIGHT dirty, but we only had one ammo-related failure to fire; a spent case got stuck in the chamber of a Steyr Scout. Again, though, that's more likely the result of dirt than ammo specs. Bottom line is that I have used it extensively, and it's good, reliable, accurate stuff. Plus, the'll ship it right to your door.

Regards,
Jon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.