Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys at work brought this by. An old colt Police Positive in .32! It's got quite a bit o' wear. There are some pretty nasty pits, the grips have a chunk missing at the back, and the cylinder-lock spring is busted - the cylinder free-wheels. Also, looks like it's missing the pin that installs on the right side of the pistol just above the back of the trigger guard. Looks like a fun project to disassemble, check out, fix and do a rust-blue job on. Could make for a fun weekend.

Rika . . . RIKA!!!! Get ahold of yourself - you're drooling on the keyboard again! lol! (I figured this is just the sort o' pupply you'd be wantin' to rescue, re-do and rust blue!)

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looks like she seen better days..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely! That's why I thought Rika would like this one - she has a way with rescuin' old Colts. She did a great job rehabbin' an old Colt auto. I'm trying to get that good at rust bluing, but not there yet.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Jon, you have me figured out. That would be a great project though it would probably take more than a weekend to do properly. Are you going to take the challenge? :)

Incidentally, I went to the gunshow last weekend. There were several Colts in the $125 - $150 range that needed attention. Problem was they were all missing parts. As old as some of those revolvers were, I doubt that even GPC would have the parts to complete them so I passed. Now looking back with 20-20 hindsight what I should have done was bought a couple of the older ones and parted them out to sell on Gunbroker or one of the Colt forums. Think I could have actually made a nice profit. Next time .....

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm gonna do it, but it won't be a full-up restroration. The roll marks are just about gone, and the pistol is probably worth about $150 - $200 as is. The screw heads aren't boogered up, though, and aside from wear and the pits, it's mechanically sound (or appears to be at this point). So, my plans are just to take everything apart, inspect everything, replace what needs replacin' with parts (I HOPE to find) at Numrich, rust blue the gun, maybe try to fix the bigger chips in the stocks, and let that be that.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
All in all it don't look that bad.Front blade looks straight and not bent and the screws look worn/smooth down there not boogered up. Ejector rod looks good, not bent. Hows the barrel address?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G - The gun is pretty sound mechanically, although I can't figure out how someone lost the pin. However, there is a TON of fore/aft play in the cylinder!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New idea! HMMMMM! Now, these are original grips, but they're worn - in fact, worn flat in some places. Maybe this would be a good practice item for checkering grips!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
maybe try to fix the bigger chips in the stocks, and let that be that.
Repro grips are cheap enough.. I never liked seeing a fresh blued gun with crapy stock. Takes away from the reblue!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New idea! HMMMMM! Now, these are original grips, but they're worn - in fact, worn flat in some places. Maybe this would be a good practice item for checkering grips!
Right! That's why I'm probably going to practice on them and try to restore them a bit!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes, I'm gonna do it, but it won't be a full-up restroration. The roll marks are just about gone, and the pistol is probably worth about $150 - $200 as is. The screw heads aren't boogered up, though, and aside from wear and the pits, it's mechanically sound (or appears to be at this point). So, my plans are just to take everything apart, inspect everything, replace what needs replacin' with parts (I HOPE to find) at Numrich, rust blue the gun, maybe try to fix the bigger chips in the stocks, and let that be that.

Best,
Jon
"maybe " try to fix the bigger chips in the stocks, and let that be that.
Don't get bent Jon! Didn't mean anything bye , suggesting new stocks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon
I was still replying to the "MAYBE" part when you posted you might want to fix those grips up. I know you do nice work and I wasn't be critical...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, geez, Gun! Didn't take it that way at ALL! Sorry I gave you that impression. It was just 50-year-old-child exuberance!

Best,
Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts