Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of prepping some Federal 9mm Brass I picked up from a few boxes of Federal "Champion" (Walmart). Compared to other brans of ammo, it seems that the primer pockets are extremely clean in terms of residue. However, I seem to be finding a large amount of burrs and ovular/deformed flash holes (but it appears to be part of the manufacturing process, not a primer derived matter).

Does anyone have an opinion of this brass? Any similar experiences?

I'm probably going to put 420mg / ~6.5 grains of Unique on top of CCI 500s using 115gr Rainiers for projectiles for ~1230fps. I have a lot of Unique laying around still. As this will be more blaster ammo, I'm inclined to just leave flash holes alone outside of standard prep.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gripper,

These are for an all-steel P226.

6.6gr of Unique is within SAAMI pressure ratings with standard profile 115gr FMJ bullets. The 226 can handle subgun ammo, I'm more worried about the brass and primers going in separate directions if the, by my standards, almost assuredly substantial pressure and performance deviation from poorly made flash holes is great enough.

I'm curious if other people have experienced same. I have a giant mass of this brass because if people want to come shooting with me, I tell them to get it because its a steal at 10.99+tax for 50 @ the Chinese Embassy. It's possible that numerous lots are mixed in, and that perhaps I just had 200 or so of a bad lot thrown in.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice that they have a steel frame/milled slide option....I never was particularly trusting of aluminum....
I haven't seen new P226 ST-Rs being made actually :(

They have an all steel variant of their "Elite" series P226 with the super-fab beavertail. I don't see why anyone would want that there... The smaller one on the regular 226 series worked fine and the bore axis is so high that there's absolutely no concern. If anything, I can imagine the extended pointy tail getting in the way of tapping the slide shut under stress, if it for some reason needed tapping.

·
Registered
432 Posts
DW, are you saying the primer pocket is odd looking with burrs or the flash hole itself is rough?
If this is for practice, its not a big deal for the flash holes, but comp or s/d is another matter.
With the price of brass, it could be worth the extra step to clean them up a bit. As long as the p/p is holding the primer in place with test loads you should be ok. I've had good results with Federal used brass

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jasper,

The pockets are great, and there was virtually no residue from the first firing (just a little burnt material in three, quite literally, dots shaped like a triangle from the anvil). Many of the flash holes, however, are canted ovals with burrs instead of circles; they are in fact so ovular in some instances that if I made them circular, there wouldn't be much left for the anvil to hit. To clarify, this isn't every piece, just a notable number of them, certainly enough that if I bought this as clean brass I'd be bitching.

These are literally for ditzing around, not even proper practice. I just keep finding Unique and 500s in unexpected places and don't want to waste them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As long as they go bang...Somebody must have buggered up the tooling at the factory for a shift or two... (Wally World second tier?)
I also like Unique for it's reliable burning rate, works well in small pistol and short barrel applications.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in the process of prepping some Federal 9mm Brass I picked up from a few boxes of Federal "Champion" (Walmart). Compared to other brans of ammo, it seems that the primer pockets are extremely clean in terms of residue. However, I seem to be finding a large amount of burrs and ovular/deformed flash holes (but it appears to be part of the manufacturing process, not a primer derived matter).

Does anyone have an opinion of this brass? Any similar experiences?

I'm probably going to put 420mg / ~6.5 grains of Unique on top of CCI 500s using 115gr Rainiers for projectiles for ~1230fps. I have a lot of Unique laying around still. As this will be more blaster ammo, I'm inclined to just leave flash holes alone outside of standard prep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you put a primer in a case yet?

I've read several reports of oddball primer sizes in the last few years, usually oversize diameter and/or shallow pockets, and one report of pockets with a large radius at the bottom that kept a primer from sitting down all the way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can't say for sure, but my experience with some forms of the cheaper Federal brass has been that the primer pockets are quite soft and will blow the primer out of the pocket when reloaded. Your call.

Molon Labe

Loki

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old post, but to address inquiries:

IIRC, I did a 1500 round batch along with another 750 Remington cases and everything worked as it should. No issues to speak of, let alone primer seating concerns or instances of blowing primers. I'll probably be reloading them a second time after I go through another batch of once fireds.

I still have a small amount of leftover Unique but would definitely need to buy more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts