Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something on the Swamp Rat survival forum that jogged a memory. Its about using the bottom of a Coke can as a parabolic mirror to start your tinder for a fire. I'm going to try it soon.

Link: Not much, just comments but this will get you to the Rat Chat site.

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001018

Now, another method I've read about but never tried is using a 12 volt battery to start a fire. Sometimes the writer uses steel wool.

There must be a dozen other off the wall methods to start a fire. Can anybody think of some? There are probably some household chemicals that would work but I don't know any.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Cool post ;). I've always loved fire. I saw a link that I think you referenced with the Khuk that led me to fire pistons. I had never heard of them... KICK ASS.

Anyhow, a little digging led me to this site (has fire piston info as well). Some good info!

http://trackertrail.com/survival/fire/index.html

cheers

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Krept, that is a fantastic site, thanks so much.

·
Registered
779 Posts
What is HTH???

Potassium chlorate + sugar + a few drops of sulphuric (battery) acid as combustion catalyst. Or skip acid and just light w/lighter, etc...

Potassium chlorate is a ingredient in some cough drops.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Way off topic, but there was a website that was devoted to bizzare ways to light charcol for BBQ's. Complete with movies and stuff. They started doing things like pouring liquid oxygen over the coals before lighting them. They used a long wooden handle with a ladle on the end...

They tried soaking the briquets in liquid oxygen, but evidently one briquet turned into the equivalent of a stick of tnt...

I wish I could remember the site, as it was hilarious....

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remembered another fire starting idea I saw in a very old Mother Earth News. The article suggested using your warm hands to melt/form a chunk of ice into a convex lens and then using the ice 'lens' like a magnifying glass to start the fire. Sounds great in concept but I wonder how practical.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Probably not very practical. Ice has alot of air/impurities in it and probably wont make an efficient lens. Then, getting it to the correct shape.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
don't believe the HTH AND CHLOROX WILL WORK.

HOWEVER I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THE FOLLOWING DO AND QUITE WELL TO BOOT all are spontanious

HTH AND GYLCERIN (reaction is a little boisterous and unnervingly quick til you get the hand of it. you have about 15 sec to get it away from you after mixed) glycerin should just dampen all hth and be contained in a plastic bag or small container that is open (could possibly go bang if contained too well)

HTH AND DOT3 BRAKE FLUID (THIS ONE IS FUN AND BEAUTIFUL TOO)
only limited knowledge on this one. filled soda can with hth(believe it could be made smaller for more efficancy) add enough brake fluid to dampen.
will create a brilliant red flame out of the small pop top opening and then melt the can. lasts about 20sec and takes anywhere from 1 to 10 min to ignite.

believe the operating action is something allows release of cl2 from hth to act as an oxidizer. then only a fuel is needed.

ONE MORE WARNING THINKING IT MAY CREATE TOXIC FUMES PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND UNDERSTAND THE REACTION MAKES LITTLE SOUNDS OR SMOKE ECT TO WARN YOU IT HAS STARTED YOU COULD SERIOUSLY HURT YOURSELF THIS WAY. THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND NOT INTENDED TO BE ATTEMPTED.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
HTH is the stuff you use in pools. I don't remember wxactly what we pored in it at scout camp. I do recall it started the bonfire every time though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It looks like a brand name. Once I knew the context I knew how to find it.

http://doitbest.com/shop/dept.asp?dept_id=653

Here is something I have used as a makeshift solder iron. I have no doubt that it could also be used to start a fire though.

Remove carbon rod with metal cap from the + terminal of AA battery.
Disconnect ALL car battery terminals.

Using heavy wire (12ga or bigger) attach 1 end to + of car battery to metal cap of carbon rod, using gator clips.

attach another wire to car battery - terminal. to get the carbon rod glowing, touch that wire to the other end of the carbon rod. Basically shorting out the car battery across that little rod. USE MOMENTARY CONTACT ONLY!!!!!

I know it sounds McGuyverish, but it works.

·
Registered
296 Posts
oh another one that works is a common 9v battery and 000 or 0000 steel wool very compact package.

you can also use magnisium shavings or filings and a flint steel type spark.

still the easiest way to make fires has to be 1st a el cheepo bic butane lighter (will last years in a container and relativly easy to dry out)

strike anywhere matches if dipped in parafine wax (will light even if soaked for hrs or days)

also in order to get tinder or damp material started. those little fire starter things made out of wood shavings and wax (you can make em with coarse saw dust and parafine. but why bother when you can purchse.) supose you could make em with tallow as well in a pinch.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Fresnel lens is very handy. Won't break in your pack, a page-size one can be had at book stores ("reading magnifiers") for a couple bucks, and they generate a very impressive hot spot.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I've used the firebow with good results. But still prefer either the strike anywhere matches or even better - lifeboat wind/waterproof matches. Those suckers burn forever - just have to keep the striker on the box dry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts