Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Federal Agencies, and most State Agencies DO teach Officer Down training. At Glynco, Ga., I was taught to shoot back from the fetal position, one handed fire, and reloading one handed. Years later, as an instructor, at Aretesia, New Mexico,(what a hell hole) our course curriculum included firing from the back prone position (arching your head to get a sight picture,) one handed firing using your uninjured leg as a rest, weak hand firing from the face down prone position , and weak hand barricade position. Everyone who carry's a weapon, be it a cop or an armed citizen should learn these drills.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There is nothing wrong with these drills (I need to practice them) as they are a critical part of survival. My only criticism is some of the stuff that one of our members dreams up that requires a person to be a circus contortionist.

Got any additional suggestions Terry?

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Another good drill to learn would be reloading with one hand, in the case of an injured hand. Practice with both hands, not just your strong hand.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Raider said:
There is nothing wrong with these drills (I need to practice them) as they are a critical part of survival. My only criticism is some of the stuff that one of our members dreams up that requires a person to be a circus contortionist.

Got any additional suggestions Terry?

RIKA
The fetal position should be learned as a hit to the body normaly puts you down on your left or right side. It's also normal to draw your knees up. Your knees can be used as a shooting platform from either side. In the event one arm is disabled and you are down, you can still use the knees as a "rest". I have never had to use any "Officer Down" type shooting, but the training makes sense, even the arching of the back position. What made the most sense in all my training, (cost you a bunch as a taxpayer), was that you DON'T GIVE UP! You maybe hit and hurt but keep FIGHTING! Even if you lose your gun and backup, pick up a brick, ash tray, umbrella, whatever, and fight! The little weasel who is trying to rob, rape, murder, you is a COWARD. You can beat him or her if you persist.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thanks Terry. The most important lesson is to keep fighting to the last breath.

RIKA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts