Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
End of a shooting session at my range and the first cold one's were being cracked when the shotgun talked started. One of my friends started in with his wish for a Browning Sweet- Sixteen. He had always wanted one for upland Grouse and bewailed the fact they were no longer made. I, rather smugly, stated I owned one. Could he see it? Maybe shoot it? I retired to the gunsafe and scooped up the Browning and a box of high brass 7 1/2's. Not set up for skeet, we improvised with 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug's filled with water, and took turn's throwing them while my friend nailed one after another. He was in heaven. " How much? How BLOODY much?" He asked. It's not for sale , I answered. Do you know what these are going for? "I'll give you a grand." No, I said. "All right. $1100.00, How about it?" Damn, I only paid $125.00 for it way back when. That's almost a $1,000.00 profit. I was about to say yes, when I looked at the old girl and remembered when it was my only shotgun. As far back as when it was legal to hunt Geese and Ducks with lead shot. When I made that absolute triple on Grouse with it and that Pheasant that four other hunter's missed and I brought down at what seemed like 40 yards crossing from right to left. And I said no. Stupid? Maybe. Tough shit, that's MY shotgun.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
My Dad still speaks fondly of the Sweet Sixteen that he hunted with when he was a teenager. It wasn't his, just one that a rich friend allowed him to hunt with. He made kills on squirrel, rabbit, doves and ducks with that gun. Since that time he got a fine Belgian A5 Humpback 12ga that he prizes and hunts with occasionally. I've asked him several times if he would like me to get him a Sweet 16 but he always says no, it wouldn't be the same.

I understand why you wouldn't sell a trusted friend like that shotgun. Selling memories of good times just isn't done, at least for me. That shotgun is something to pass down to your child or grandchild so that they too can enjoy the memories that a good gun can bring.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I understand how you feel Terry. I have several guns I would never want to part with.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have 2 16 gauges. One is a Winchester model 12, the other is a Winchester model 1400.

Both are great guns.

It's hard to put a price tag on memories.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I saw [1] [about 2 years ago] on the high-rack[obviously buried from finger-printers] in my local gun-shop for$450,,,i thought kinda hard for almost a minute,,,before I tucked it back AWAY in the hidden/hard to get to 'rack'

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I found mine last year and surely beat the coin drop test drawing my wallet on the deal, as soon as the wife said, Happy Birthday, get it!
I carried it all during bird season, and searched around for slugs for deer, but couldn't find any. This year, I plan on making it a one gun season, carrying that Sweet 16 as much as I possibly can.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I used my dad's old Spld side by side 12 a bit as a kid, but it wouldn't conceal, and where I could and wanted to hunt, that was a big handicap. So was not being quiet. I favored shorts in a 24" barreled M67 Winchester single shot. 1.2c a shot, vs 20c a shot had a lot to do with it, too, of course. I was busting my butt for $1 an hour in those days.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I COPY 'brother',,,,,you KNOW?,,, when 'i' was a 'kid' i had an ol'-man farmer kinda' "took me under his wing[so to speak, as dad punched oil-wells on his dirt]well he would tell me HIS days of the navy[20's] and about being a HOBO
during the depression-era!,,,and we'd even shoot a pistol/drink a beer!!!,,hell
i could almost ride a bicycle back then! :dgrin:

·
Registered
54 Posts
dont ever sell that Sweet 16.. they aint cheap, and they aint easy to find anymore.. that and memories are priceless.. you can never replace the love in that shotgun for money..

the sweet 16 was a favorite of my wifes grandfather, i dont recall if he ever actually owned one, or if it was one of those that he never got around to buying, but loved to use when he could none the less.. i do know that his shotgun since 1971 was a 1957 vintage browning A-5 light 12. beautiful shotguns and utterly reliable.. on a related/unrelated note.. i just scored a Belgium Browning A-5 for $250.. and if i read the SN right.. it was made in 1911....
i LOVE the A-5!!!
now if i can ever locate a frickin mag extension tube for it ill be happy.. Choate dont make them no more..
Urban Hillbilly

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
outstandin' U-H !,,,as I know, I'VE not shot [2] boxes of shells through my
FATHERS, SINCE 'he' DIED!
in fact I rarely drag it up outta' the dark-recesses of 'VAULT #3'

but when my hands caress my fathers SHOTGUN,,,I fondly recall the 'beatin's',,, I'd GET FROM HIM !!!,,,up until age 17. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shotguns: Browning A-5 series

I know what you mean about the "Sweet 16" a hunting pal has one, and he'd just as soon bring Sarah Brady as his date to the NRA annual convention as ever sell that- His was made in Belgium around l950. 26" vent ribbed barrel chokes imp. cyl. and 2& 3/4" chambers. I have a Light 12 A-5 with 28" vent rib barrel, originally choked mod. which was mfg. in l959. I'd like to have a $5 bill for every duck and goose and barn pigeon I've shot with that shotgun. Around l988 I sent the barrel to Briley's in Houston, TX and had them install the stainless choke tubes for steel shot-I use the imp. cyl. tube for ducks over decoys, the mod. tube for pass shooting ducks and geese, the full choke tube for turkeys (with the coppered loads, illegal for waterfowl I'm told). I have a 16 gauge A.H. Fox BE grade with Krupp barrels, I sent it to Brileys to have the chokes opened and the chambers and cones lengthed for the new loads. They do first class work, and I recommend them highly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts