Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if YOU need foraging gun, so will hundreds of other people in your area, many of whom will be quite willing to shoot YOU, for whatever "reason". So forget about the single shots, bolt actions, over/under combos. They don't do a damned thing that a good autoloader wont do, and they are woefully inferior at stopping a fleeing critter, hitting his nearby buddy before HE can flee (assuming a good silencer) and they are next to worthless if you have to fight men, or even ambush more than one man.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
woefully inferior at shooting fleeing critters... Is your shot placement so poor you require lots of follow up shots?

I've never lost an animal because I could not fire follow up shots quickly enough with a bolt action.

That includes hitting coyotes on the run.

Sounds like someone needs to practice - oops, never mind.

The best way to deal with fleeing critters is proper shot placement, which has little to do with the type of action used.

Why are we initiating ambushes? (Something a lone individual would be stupid to do against a group of people.)

Initiating ambushes is looking for trouble. The prudent thing to do is avoid combat until things recover (depending on your SHTF scenario.) The lone person initiating ambushes will not survive very long.

sigh.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
If the balloon ever goes up, those that will survive will have flexibility and versatility on their side. "1 trick pony's" will die! Any firearm used within its limitations can keep you alive. So post a kit list of what you actually have pack AT THIS MOMENT! Now there is a topic. Plus tell us about your SSI and actually how crippled you are.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ive always believed that the only good combat is the kind youre talking about many years later, when its safe and long done. Ive served in 2 combat zones and wasn't a happy camper either time, but only really remember the good times, not the 4am wire walking, or the "Is it real, or another G.D. Drill?" at 2am when the S.C.U.D. sirens went off. I have been shot at twice, and both times were sniper fire out of the dark, and I have never fired a live round in anger (Knock On Wood, I want to keep that record), but have trained all of my adult life to do so without hesitation. I don't look forward to a combat situation, but also do not fear such as I ve seen, and smelt the smoke of war on 2 continents, and survived. :eatpointe

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Editorial comment from one who has never been in combat.

Combat is never invited but simply something that has to be done (for most of us). Its dirty, ugly and causes death and wounds that we may survive but have to live with for the rest of our lives. Personally, I don't want any part of it but if it "comes a'knocking" I won't run - and I will survive and win. Its just something that has to be done and the sooner its finished the better.

Philosophy provided from older friends who were in combat.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Only fools look forward to combat.
Same here Magnum. gunkid has never seen the elephant or he would not say those kind of things.

And as for survival, in the wilderness you don't want to miss much, if any. Ammo and time will just be to precious to waste with those followup shots. What is more, snares, deadfalls, traps, knowledge of editble plants, will be far more usefull than any 11" CAR pos. Dreaming about combat and CARs is the mark of a wannabee boy.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Well people who think that they MUST have a certain (sub-par) weapon, with all the gadgets from the I-Wannabe-a-commando-militia catalog, but think a mylar blanket is good enough sleeping gear won't last long anyway.

Surviving is a lot of hard work in primitive conditions, especially if you're going it alone. No reason to go starting trouble with people. If you spend all your time trying to start fights with people, you won't get the stuff you need to get done to survive. Anyway you cut it, looking for trouble will yield a short life.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'll just say this. The only people who think combat is exciting are people who have never been IN combat.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Terry G said:
I'll just say this. The only people who think combat is exciting are people who have never been IN combat.
I have only been in civilian types of combat, and that I guess is as dangerous as any when the other guy is trying to kill you. Sometimes what led up to the combat such as a manhunt or a good foot chase or serving a warrant were quite exciting and adventurous even if it was hard work; and so too was the resultant combat when one of the bads went beserk. It is just that at the moment you don't think it is exciting as you just about shaite your panties because of the pucker factor. When you think about it later, those are the best war stories, the ones where the SHTF even if it was only for a minute or so. The ones you were able to walk away from, and then tell your buddies about over some beers, and ytears later tell your children about maybe instead of a fairy tale at bedtime, and the ones I hope to someday tell my hoped for grandkids about. All the other poop around combat, the hard work, the boring tasks, and whatever you have to do that suck, that is the stuff that was not exciting - well in my civilian duties anyhow.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Well combat certainly is exciting, but not in the good way.
Also makes for good stories later I guess.

I'd just rather have more stories of an extraordinarily wicked good lay than of combat.
Now that's exciting in the good way.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Terry G said:
I think this would apply primarily to sane people.

You're forgetting about those who are a 'tad out of plumb'.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Its my belief that gunkid/erika is looking forward to the opportunity to kill, in order to get revenge on society. For all those years that society "took" from him. If he would only look in the mirror he would see the person that in fact has caused his pain!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I for one, have never been in combat. I do not wish to ever be in combat. However, since the age of 12 I have been preparing, mentally at first for the possibility of it happening. Survival practice in the woods, tactical training with firearms by licenced instructors, countless hours at the range, hunting, camping, I own 4x4 vehicles, so on and so forth. I hope all of this is for nothing, but if it ends up being needed, Ill be glad I did it. If I have anything to say about it myself and my family will live on and survive. To be honest Id rather sit here on the computer and talk about it rather than have to kill.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
That's just a healthy case of "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Which is smart in my book.

Oh yeah, fun too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts