Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

only real use for .50 is hitting a liquid-

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  emmanuel 
G
#1 ·
fueld rocket, at launch, from a milie away, so it will melt on the pad, and you can get away with it.. A .50 bmg upper for the AR will suffice. 223 is well proven to have plenty of reach for realistic sniping (ie, 700 yds, with 1 in 8 rifling, 80 gr Berger VLD match bullets. So why bother to lug around more wt and bulk, or God Forbid, a silly bolt action?

#2 ·
I tend to agree, altho I'd choose a 300

win Mag BAR, restocked by McMillan, for ranges beyond 500 yds. I don't see enough use for a "sniping" or target type 223. A 300 tho, can do those things, and also be effective on big game at such ranges. One could need the rapidfire potential of the BAR, and its gas op and BOSS compensator are helpful with heavy recoil, as is the gun's 9 lb weight.

#8 ·
u aint taking out an APC with a .50 rifle

either. You can put scores of holes in such vehicles, with NO effect, and they will be hosing you down with belt feds, rockets, etc. U live in a dream world. You avoid APC'S, period, except perhaps for silenced, subsonic killing of the crews, as they sleep outside, at night.

#12 ·
I still can't beleive that tard would commment about the 113 knowing that he has no idea what one even looks like. I suppose that if you shot a 113 with a 50 right in the side and suppose that the bullet didn't change paths and come straight out the other side it would't affect the track in any way, but only the track, not the crew. Put one round of 50 in the left frount and it will take out the driver then go straight to the engine. The enging may not "die" right when it is hit but buy the time the rest of the crew gets the driver out of his seat it will be to late. Lets just hope that no talaban is on this post.

Nick

#13 ·
Actually, the fastest way to shut an M113 down is a frontal plate low hit on the left as you look at it. Your ideal target is the oil pan and transmission housing. It won't kill many if any of the people on board but it will make life miserable for those inside.

Mike

#14 ·
Heck, have you guys seen what happens with the Raufoss style .50 BMG ammo when it goes through barriers? Take a look at the photo below. This stuff doesn't act like standard AP where a single projectile goes into a vehicle. This stuff fragments and each fragment is also armor piercing. Also incendiary. If it is fired into a vehicle, it would make a mess out of anyone inside of it.

#15 ·
Don't confuse Gunkid. Using facts is patently unfair to him.

Also, you're messing with his fantasy of blowing up the shuttle.

After all, I beleive all modern military rockets are solid fueled - less prep time to fire one, at least the US ones are.

Scuds are liquid fueled, being little more than V2's with a few upgrades. But where is he likely to encounter a scud? (he won't even leave Colorado)

So about the only liquid fueled rocket he could be thinking of is the shuttle.

More paranoid BS.

Of course the tard couldn't get within a mile of the shuttle, and if he can't handle the recoil of a .308 with flinching and missing, what would he do with a .50?

:devil:

#16 ·
As a young infanteer, I spent 2 1/2 years in a mechanized rifle company. These days in the test facility where I work we blow up things like that. Gunkid, you have absolutely no idea what will penetrate an M113 with or without an armour add on package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.