Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Who do you think is going to argue that.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
223 fan said:
plain ignorance of the facts. There's far better rifles and loads available.
How about the fact that the ammunition is cheap, and they are fun to shoot? Also, they represent a history of our wartime experiences in Viet Nam.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How about they are still excellent rifles in their own right. Rock solid reliable, reasonably combat accurate, plenty of ammo available. I don't know about better loads, as the military is thinking about the 6.8mm, and none of the rifles used today are as reliable.

The only objection I have to the AK is around their crude sights and awkward safety.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
My reasoning is that there are lots of better weapons available but the AK and the SKS will work very well. Its the skill of the rifleman that counts.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yes, but better for what?

For general woods bumming in areas like GA, the SKS and AK are a pretty sweet deal. They're fairly light, handy, and shoot something pretty equivalent to the venerable thutty-thutty, which means that dogs, coyotes deer, hogs and even black bear will go down pretty quick to a 154 grain softpoint. The JHP and FMJ loads actually work pretty good on small game, even though it's technically illegal to use them to hunt said game. They don't expand and thus don't tear up the meat too badly.

A .38/.357, .35 Remington, .30-30 or similar would work pretty well, too, but you give up the magazine size and quick-change capability. You pays yer money and takes yer chances, as with anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts