Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to pick an optimum barrel length for a .308 bolt action rifle, what would it be? Are the majority of the commercial loadings designed around a particular barrel length?

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I've been very satisfied with the .308 diameter bullet in the Remington M788 & the Remington M700 with 22 inch barrels.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The Ruger M77 MK1 is quite accurate to 300yds with the 20in barrel; just don't get it too hot. Lightweight and easy to carry too.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Jeff Cooper chose 18", and he supposedly knows it all. :) Even with a barrel that short, and with 4" of the 14" long can telescoped back around the barrel, you'd still have a pretty unwieldy gun.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I had a friend who was very taken with my Remington M788 w/ a 22" barrel so he decided to go and buy one for himself. Unfortunately he bought one with an 18 1/2" barrel. He was very unhappy with the felt recoil difference between his rifle and mine. I'll stick with the 22" barrel, myself.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the FN SPR comes in a 20 inch and a 24 inch barrel only. This particular rifle is rather heavy and I will be putting a heavy scope on it. This is a firearm that will be sitting on a bench or other fixed perch when I fire it. So no, I'm not looking for something to tote around in the field to hunt with.

Yeah, I need this like I need another hole in my head. But I guess that's what makes a person a bonafide gun nut. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Fpr what you want Rich a 20 inch barrel should work fine.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If you want to shoot it from a fixed position, I'd go with the longest barrel you can get, since swinging it around wouldn't be an issue. I've put many a 'yote on his way to his maker with a model 70 Stealth with a 26" barrel.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Rich, I seen a mild handload fired from a 17" .308 that shot into 1.5" at 100 yards. The Steyr Scout and P-IV Urban have short barrels and they shoot well. Most military and police .308's have 24" or 26" barrels. Traditionally, most commercial loadings were based around a 24" barrel.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's the kind of info I am looking for. I assume that most commercial loads are based on a particular barrel length for optimum burn time of the powder.

What about 7.62x51? Are those loadings based on a different formula? I don't think 24 inch barrels are all that common in military style 7.62x51 rifles.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you want real range, much less real POWER remaining at long range, you don't want a 308. It just aint THAT big a step up from a 30-30. Get a savage or rem bolt 30-30, and it can come within 10% of factory 308 performance. 308's nothing much at all, an hasn't been, really. Dummies just suck up the bs about how it GROUPS so great. Well groups aint crap when it comes to hunting, cause wind-drift, range, up and down hill, mirage, and target movement ALL tend to mean more than the diff betwee 3/4 MOA and 1.5 MOA, beyond about 400m.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Really

andy said:
If you want real range, much less real POWER remaining at long range, you don't want a 308. It just aint THAT big a step up from a 30-30. Get a savage or rem bolt 30-30, and it can come within 10% of factory 308 performance. 308's nothing much at all, an hasn't been, really. Dummies just suck up the bs about how it GROUPS so great. Well groups aint crap when it comes to hunting, cause wind-drift, range, up and down hill, mirage, and target movement ALL tend to mean more than the diff betwee 3/4 MOA and 1.5 MOA, beyond about 400m.

I personally witnessed a very large and very pissed off bull moose taken running towards me and my Dad when I was 13 years old. That sometimes happens when you are calling moose in the full rut in September/ October up here in Canada It took 3 200 grainers from close range to drop that animal yes the rifle was a .308 a remington model 760 pump action with open sights. This was my first experience with Moose and I was just tagging along with the old man learning how to hunt. The 30-30 is very popular in my family for deer in thick woods and does an excellent job. It would not however have dropped that moose who thought there was another bull on his turf playing with his cows. Having shot both calibers myself and having the choice between the two the .308 wins hands down every time. Just go and look at the numbers.(you seem to value numbers over real experience) Pop has been gone a long time now but he taught me a lot. Most importantly he taught me how valuable a good memory is.

Andy do you remember this post?

http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29031

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
hipster, what part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Currently Living in Ontario (I Know you don't have to tell me I have the perception of this province too) Big hunk of land much too congested in the south but very nice about 10 hours north.I do miss Sask though. If I remember correctly you were posted in Dundurn. I used to fish Blackstrap for pike and pickerel. Fishing through the ice on that piece of water was not too bad for pike.Buffalo pound was much better for pickerel. Believe it or not I miss Sask and would return given the chance fine whitetail hunting in that province

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I wasn't posted in Dundurn, my career manager SENTENCED me to 48 months in Canadian Forces Base Detachment Dundurn! Actually I was born and dragged up in hogtown till I joined the Army at age 17. I now support my sovereign, King Ralph. I live in the Southeast part of the Kingdom.

Long live the King, Long live King Ralph!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
USMC M40 sniper rifles use a 24" barrel. The Remington PSS sniper system uses a 26" barrel. The HK PSG1 uses a 24" barrel. The US Army M24 uses a 24" barrel.

I've found that the 24" barrels are the best for long range shooting. But it depends totally on your needs and what you expect of the rifle.

Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
Garand I have to say that Ralph should be Prime Minister. I spent 5 years living in edmonton (I miss those days) and Ralph is the guy you want to sit in a pub and have some beers with and if things get stupid you know he can handle himself and he will have your back all day long. I fully think if he was PM he would be able to clean up this country and get the shit straight down here in the winey crybaby area I live in not to mention the next hunk of land east of here. Long live Ralph oh and beer too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts