Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late 2001, I saw a message on my desk that said I was to assist in a prisoner transfer to a detainer. Now, a detainer is a court order to pick up a Federal inmate who is wanted on crimes, either state or local, outside of Federal sentencing. In other words, inmate z is facing state or local charges not related to his Federal sentence. inmate z is locked up for PWITD across state lines, but also charged with armed robbery in a local municipality. This means the detaining authority can remove him from Federal custody to face the state or local charges. Really routine, I've done a thousand of these transfers. The Deputy Sheriiff from some county in Alabama arrived, and after looking at his paperwork, checking his badge number, and calling his county with a physical ID (you can't be too careful), I advised him that his weapons had to be locked up in the prison lock box before he could enter the secure facility. No problem, except it was. He drew his cocked and locked .45 Colt. four spare magazines, and placed them in the lock box. He then drew a Berreta 9MM from a shoulder holster, reached over and withdrew 2 more magazines for the Berreta from the off side. He told me "I ain't quite done." He pulled up his right pants leg and offered me a .380 Walther PPK/s and a spare magazine he had in an ankle rig. He then pulled up his left pant leg and withdrew a 4" two edged dagger. As we started into the prison he said "Oh, lord, Ive forgoten one." We went back outside and he dug out a pouch of "Red Man" tobacco, opened it, and produced a .22 over and under derringer. I was about out of patience at this time, and enquired if he had an M-16 in his underwear. He replied "Naw, that's in the trunk."

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Gotta love it, Tackleberry from "Police Academy" - life imitates art. :D

Guess they believe in being armed in Alabama. Maybe he was worried about a rescue attempt when the guy was in his custody.

However, it does hint at overkill when they forget about an extra weapon that they have on them.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
He could have done quite well without the Berretta.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
What??? No .22 insert or CAN!!!!!!! Obviously unprepared.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
In the last couple years, I've lightened my duty carry load a little as well. Now down to Glock 19, KelTec P32, one fixed-blade knife (a neck-peck), buck left-hand lockblade, and B&D Executive edge lockblade. Not going to get into what's in the car.

Beretta 9mm seems a very poor choice for a concealed backup gun. A whole lot of mass for what it provides. I wonder if this was normal for him, or if he was "ramping up" for this transfer...?

I only know one guy who carries near that much on a normal basis, and he's bigger than I am, and can probably bench-press a buffalo. Of course, he carries four pair of cuffs on his belt too; and has at least once used them all, by himself in one incident. For days, we were all humming "I wanna be like Mike"... :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't think he really needed the derringer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts