Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on items people don't think about that are useful when hunting or camping.

I'll kick off the list with camp footwear. I picked up a cheap set of Croc wannabees at a TJ Max - I think I paid $8 for the pair. I use them to cross streams or rivers - remove my boots and socks and slip these on. Nothing worse than wet socks / boots. cross, get to the other side, remove them, shake them off and hang them on the outside of my pack. they're quiet. I have a simple loop of paracord and a carabiner for this purpose.

In camp, I use them if I need to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, or to walk around camp in general when I don't need / want to be in my boots.

They also make good shower shoes if at a hotel or campground.

what do you guys have - other than the obvious stuff?

Administrator
Scotch Brite scrub pads. I used to use the steel wool scrub pads but they rust up too quickly. Plus besides the mess kit you can use them for grease and other muck that gets on you.

Registered
One oddball thing I used to carry in both my ghb and camping stuff was a 4-foot section of dog-run chain with a snap link on one end. It was handy for a hundred things. Besides securing whatever to whatever, it was great for holding a branch tripod together over a fire while also (with the snap link) holding a cookpot over the fire. That cooking-fire tripod thing was one of its most-used applications, but because it was a chain and the snap link could be connected at any length from 4 feet to 4 inches, it was extremely versatile.

Registered
bungi cords, a thousand and 1 uses for them

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good list so far.

I've also added hot glue sticks to my repair kit (John in AR - posted this in the past) I also keep some tenacious tape in my kit as well for clothing repairs and the like. it works amazingly well. Paracord tied into loops between 4" and 6" is also amazingly useful - you can secure tarps, gear to a pack, trekking poles into supports, hang stuff from branches, etc. combined with bungee cords or by themself they have unlimited uses.

Registered
I鈥檇 forgotten about the glue sticks, but you鈥檙e absolutely right. They鈥檙e still in my truck GHB kit and are handy for all kinds of repairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts