Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pictures back and the picture of my P-38 is bad, but here it is. The gun shoots well with no malfunctions. My range session was short due to cold weather and wind. It shoots to the point of aim but a tad low with 115 Grain FMJ. The double action trigger was not heavy and with just a bit of creep. The single action pull was excellent. I have not tried JHP's in it yet. Groups were in the 3 3/4" to 4 1/4" range at 25 yards, but it wasn't a fair test due to the weather. When it warms up a bit I'll give it a more thorough wringing out. All in all I'm happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
I bought a P-38 in the late 70's. As a young infanteer I had access to lots of 9mm ball. It was an excellent firearm, a "Spreewerke" if I remember correctly. I did find it a little light in the front though on recoil. Very easy to dissassemble. It should provide you with a lot of good times on the range.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Garand, is this the P1 Walther they are bringing into the US. I've seen them at gunshows for $270. Hell of allot better than a POS STAR.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
what's it do that a Star Bm doesn't do better, for half the money, less bulk and wt, better sights, better trigger pull, etc. Some people are just stupid, they'll buy ANYTHING, as long as it's "different'. Me, I see no reason to even spend any time on such clunkers, much less tie up any money in one.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Andy,

Have you shot a P38 to compare with the STAR? If you have give some reasons more than "well a star is just better." Give specific things like why a minute difference in weight that only an infant child would notice matters to you and why you believe the trigger and sites to be insufficient. Some people that havn't had the joy of shooting a STAR or P38 want to know exact reasons why you think what you do.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Is it a military P38? If so you can tell the manufacturer and year of production from the Waffenmat markings on the pistol/

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard Ball said:
Is it a military P38? If so you can tell the manufacturer and year of production from the Waffenmat markings on the pistol/
It has Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do and P-38 Cal.9MM on the slide. I haven't researched it.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
andy said:
what's it do that a Star Bm doesn't do better, for half the money, less bulk and wt, better sights, better trigger pull, etc. Some people are just stupid, they'll buy ANYTHING, as long as it's "different'. Me, I see no reason to even spend any time on such clunkers, much less tie up any money in one.
FIrst of all, braindead, it was a gift. Secondly, your remarks are nothing more than jealousy because you can't own firearms. Everybody knows it. Whenever a Forum member acquires a new firearm you find some reason to knock it. Star BM? I don't want one, if I did I would buy one. Guns I get don't need REASONS. I buy them because I want to and I can.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry, your photo is so blurry that I can't read whats on the side of the slide. If its a WW2 model it should have some code letters followed by the year in numbers and marked on left side of the slide. My P38 is an AC43 which means it was made by Walther in 1943. Another example could be byf42 (Mauser in 1942). If your handgun has no code/year markings it means that was made either prior to WW2 (extremely rare) or is a put-together from after WW2. The Walther P1 was made after WW2 and believe it has an aluminum frame.

Anyway the P38 is a good shooter that you will have lots of fun with. One warning though. Check the little metal cover on top of the slide to make sure it stays extremely tight. They have been known to come loose and when it does parts spray out getting easily lost and rendering your gun non-operational.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RIKA, The frame is definitely alloy, I tried a magnet on it. Probably put together from parts post WWII. The numbers all match. I got it in error as you know, but I'm happy with it. My guns, with the exception of the Colt SAA, are shooters. It does have P-38 on the slide rather than P-1. I'm a confused about the "cover" you spoke of. The top of the slide and internal parts seem no different than other semi-autos that I own. Enlighten me. Thanks. (I have to buy a better camera!)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It sounds like a P-1 Terry. They ARE P-38s, just made with aluminum frames (as was some WW2 P-38s that were experimentaly made.) Yours may very well have a P-1 frame and they used a P-38 slide (they made P-38s for a while after WW2.) The P-1 was issued to police. I think the P-38 was export and civilian sales.

I've seen them sold at gunshows by the crate. Perfect condition. Sad that gunkid hasn't a clue about the P-38 or P-1, but what do you expect from a keyboard junkie.

Now Rika is right. The rear sight, I think, is what's holding in the business. There is a top slide that is pinned in by the rear sight. It's called a 'indicator Cover'. See the schmatic of a Walther P-38 at:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

They have a free one you can look at when you look at P-38 parts.

Here is a good link on the subject!

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thanks Djet. Indicator cover. Think its just a slide in spring fit. Just be careful that its tight. The P1 is a fine Walther and quite durable as well as being a great shooter. I know that you will enjoy it immensely. I think that the P38s were carried by the German Police after WW2 and their designation was the P1, perhaps because of the aluminum frame.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for you input, RIKA and DJetAce. The only date I found on the slide was 12/60, so probably a P-1 receiver with a P-38 slide. Thanks a lot for the heads-up on the indicator cover, I'll keep an eye on it. Just goes to show you can alway's learn something!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts