Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ending 2021: 22LR (Long Rifle) Ammo Inventory: How much left with the year coming to an end soon? - YouTube

I watched the above video and thought, if this guy is packing for SHTF then he is an idiot. All that .22 ammo in flimsy zip lock bags. He has obviously had little long term experience either in the field or hunting. If "the balloon ever went up", the ammunition that you have could be all that you can acquire. Sticking it in flimsy zip lock bags or paper containers ensures that ammunition can deteriorate over time plus ensures the opportunity to loose large amounts of your stash through regular of careless handling. Plus you can never have a reliable count on the amount you have, which makes difficult making decisions based on ammunition availability. While those plastic 100 packs, take up a bit more room, they are more durable, easier to stock take and well allow you to maintain your ammo quality.

Reactions: Terry G and BigEd

Administrator
Yep, if he wants to have bags for long term use Coghlans has fairly heavy duty small dry bags of varying sizes. But there still the count issue.

Registered
I just leave it in the factory packaging, whether .22lr or other calibers. Often in ammo cans, but still in the factory box inside the ammo can. The ziploc bag thing would let you cram more rounds into a given space, but you lose the info on the manufacturer's packaging and that would be a problem for me personally; especially with rimfire, where some guns like some ammo and some like others.

For that matter, 22lr stuff is also more susceptible than most calibers to the bullets dislodging from the case when being pushed on sideways, as is going to happen in bag-stacking storage like that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I buy bulk .22 like everyone else as it is cheaper. All you need to do is check the garbage cans next time you go to find dozens of empty plastic .22 boxes and a piece of tape will hold the manufacturers data on.

Registered
I buy bulk .22 like everyone else as it is cheaper. All you need to do is check the garbage cans next time you go to find dozens of empty plastic .22 boxes and a piece of tape will hold the manufacturers data on.
That's a very good idea, but I almost never go to a range where others go to shoot. (I'm fortunate in that my range is just my backyard...)

It's so convenient that it's hard to put into words. I had a little time to kill yesterday evening before my wife got home, so I went in the back yard and shot a little 50-round box of .22's thru the Henry levergun and ruger wrangler revolver. Then decided I needed a centerfire fix & fired just 20-30 rounds of reloads thru the .357 levergun. Country life is awesome. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are truly blessed. Living on the edge of a small city, its a 10 minute drive to an outdoor range with bays at 25/50/75/100/300 yards and 22 minute drive in the winter to the local indoor 25 yd range.

Reactions: BigEd

Administrator
Why I'm moving. I used to be able to shoot out to 100yds behind the house, rifle. And approximately 15yds pistol. Any calibers respectively. Now at best for regular practice it's .22lr on a angled steel plate so everything goes downward into dirt or old phone books.
Anyways if it was me I'd at least out a sharpie marked piece of the original box with bullet weight brand and name description: (40gr Aguila Interceptor) for example and maybe round count and date of purchase.
Even printed out on paper and made into labels.

Registered
You are truly blessed.
Very much so. Even with all the ugly drama in our lives (and most people's lives right now probably), we're still a lot better off than most of the world's population. One niece was with us in Mexico a couple weeks ago and she was stunned at the income difference between here & there. She's a nurse in Houston and I don't think she initially believed me when I pointed out to her that the average nurse in Mexico makes less than the equivalent of $800 per month.

We (including myself) in the US have it much better than most of the world does. IIRC, the median global income is something like $175 USD per month. The numbers work out to something like "the bottom 10% financially in the US are still in the top 1% in the world". We're spoiled and I'm very glad to be; I just wish more Americans realized and appreciated it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts