Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much can be learned about people based upon their interpretation of life.

Anyone care to engage? If so, interpret this,

We look at the world and see what we have learned to beleive is there,
We have been conditioned to expect....

LEO, millitary, accountant or burger fliper, what you are isn't important. Would like to learn WHO you are.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I'll give interpreting this a shot...
We look at situations in ways that we can fit ourselves into them. Solutions stop at what we are capable of, because if we are not able to do or fix something due to lack of knowledge, skills or equipment, we cannot help the situation. Along the lines of "when your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tuna, I hadn't considerd that tack.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Death is what gives meaning to life. Happiness is the result of having achieved one or more goals. If everyone lived forever, there could be no happiness, because you could easily get around to doing everything. So you could set no priorities. So anything you chose to do would be just the product of a mere whim. So, nothing could make you happy. Death is often a welcome surcease from pain, utter boredom, embarrassment, and so on.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Achieving goals is a powerful source of happiness, but it’s not the sole source. I get immense happiness from my kids; just being with them, watching them play, etc. If I were to have the knowledge or guarantee that I’d still be alive 50 years from now, it wouldn’t detract from what I get out of it now. And I’m not confusing pleasure with happiness, this is genuine happiness/contentment, not fleeting pleasure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happiness is not a "goal" it is a state of being, nor is it something that you find, but rather something you create.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We look at the world and see what we have learned to beleive is there,
We have been conditioned to expect....
agree with tuna. From a philosophical or religious point of view... assuming that a person has cemented a philosophy or religion, the person will observe phenomenon in world and interpret them according to their belief. For example, a rock falls on a car, killing the occupants. A Christian might say that is God's will, while a Buddhist might say it was because of karma, and so on.

In otherwords, depending on the belief, everything happening in the world can be described in terms of some divine or cosmic order. Whether or not the reason for the rock falling is known doesn't really matter, although some may search and try to figure out what NOT to do next time to anger the gods, cause bad karma, etc.

The absence of a philosophical or religious belief system approaches seeing "the world" as a result of chaos (or rather, random events), hence the foundation for the scientific method... observe, question, hypothesize, test hypothesis and repeat as necessary. The rock fell because the underlying soil had been giving way after the last rain, it was pure chance that the car happened to intersect with the falling rock. On a macro/micro scale? Everything from superstring theory to the space/time continuum. Endless postulation and I feel... at some time... there must be a leap of faith here.

my personal viewpoint is a different can of worms. :D

cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good replies one and all.
Krept,,, you are a challenging mind to fathom, quite intriguing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You also have to take into account how it is beleived that our problem solving abilities operate.

The latest round of discussions that I'm aware of, basically sees the brain as being one heck of a pattern matching engine. We tend to solve problems in terms of past experiences - a la when you've got a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail.

We tend to apply some of that to some pretty ethereal situations, like the rock falling being attributed to karma or God's will.

Pure chance and totally unbiased events are foreign to our everyday experiences, and even when we experience them, we tend to not recognize them as such.

Some people envy the fortunes of others, beleiving them to be victims of a plot to make them successful, while the observer is a victim of a plot to make them less successful. (Truth is, luck is a part of it, but it is more drive and hard work - your future is what you make it.)

Cause and effect govern much of what happens in the universe. We tend to frame both of these in terms of our experiences - things outside of which get misinterpeted. That's why many unfamiliar or unexplained events get labeled as supernatural.

My two metaphysical (non)cents.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Aslan, I agree with essentially everything you said, but it also sounds like you're coming from the position of having a more open mind. I believe that there are many people who interpret events... from earth shattering to insignificant... only in terms of a philosophy or religion that they have been conditioned to accept.

For example, all of the laws of nature exist because that is how God (or whatever) willed things to be... from physics of subatomic particles to the rotation of our galaxy. To these people, God/Allah/Karma/the higher self can also apparently control random events - the flip of a coin, etc.

The latest round of discussions that I'm aware of, basically sees the brain as being one heck of a pattern matching engine.
Yes, exactly. But again the cause-->effect relationships (or here, pattern matching) that exist in reality, a Believer could posit, are created by a higher power.

Further, the distinction becomes fuzzy when we start approaching abstract concepts. For example, the brain is an organic computer... an organ that we can dissect and study. But what does science say about the mind? The consciousness that is aware of "hey, my brain hurts!" Once the brain becomes aware of the concept of consciousness, science falls short of an explanation and we enter the realm of philosophy and religion, spirituality.

It is one thing for an animal to be aware that it is alive... hunger, fear, feelings reinforce this. But it is another thing to be conscious of that awareness and to question it's origin and seek to explain such an abstract concept that is essentially immeasurable by any scientific tools for all intents and purposes. I feel this question is the foundation for such "leaps of faith."

I think :D

cheers

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Definition of faith is:"belief without REASON"(emphasis mine) It's not an act of faith to believe that the sun will "rise" tomorrow morning. We have REASON to believe that the sun will rise. There is no REASON WHATSOVER to postulate a "god", or even a "spirit". It's all done with one's MIND, conscious or not, and things are as they are out of pure fluke, and the laws of physics.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i'm glad this thread got some talking started

i was a philosopher[philosophically speaking] at one time in my life
and as i philosophized[full circle] i came to the same conclusion

as SOCRATES and the HEMLOCK SOCIETY studied upon

needless to say, my philosophizing have been in retrograde ever since!

:wavey:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
Definition of faith is:"belief without REASON"(emphasis mine) It's not an act of faith to believe that the sun will "rise" tomorrow morning. We have REASON to believe that the sun will rise. There is no REASON WHATSOVER to postulate a "god", or even a "spirit". It's all done with one's MIND, conscious or not, and things are as they are out of pure fluke, and the laws of physics.
Actually there is very good reason to postulate a god, or supreme being. What existed before the Universe? There's a lot of thought about the instant of creation, and what has happened since, but what about just before the universe came into existence?

Look around, there's a lot of very clever engineering in everything from gravity and the way the planets orbit the sun, to the functioning of the smallest virus.

Variation, diversity, etc, may all come out of chance, but the basic engineering smacks of thoughtful design, at least to me.

Even seemingly random things like the way a tree grows or the patterns in a wave, turn out to have mathematical reasons for what they do.

Too much stuff works, to just be purely an accident.

Random events do play a big part in how things change over time, but only because the foundation was pretty well laid out.

If there is a god, then why do bad things happen - that's usually the gotcha that everyone hurls. Free will. Yep, the cop out of all cop outs.

Free will, if you subscribe to the doctrine basically makes God hands off for the most part.

If you don't subscribe to the free will thing, then karma may be easier to deal with. Stuff happens. You reap what you sow. keep trying till you get it right.

Still involves a plan or a design, still has a lot of non-interference from above.

Etc.

These discussions are best done in person and only with the proper beer.

:devil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts