Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of my "normal times" gear, I was airing it our from the last weeks four dayer and decided to take a pic.

Pretty basic stuff, for sleeping gear I use a North Face bag in a GI gortex bivy sack and a 3/4 legnth Ridge Rest pad, the pack is a Dana Designs. Not visable is a light tarp shelter and showing are gloves hat, wool sweater and a gor-tex parka. Normally there would be socks too but they are in the washing machine LOL.

I carry an old Brigade Quartermaster map case with a Silva Ranger, map scaler and what ever maps I need for the trip.

The hatchet is an old Norlund, rehelved with a straight handle, knife is an old AFCK and of course a Leatherman. The slingshot is my trusty Trumark with steel .35 cal. pellets in the handle.

For cooking I use my 1 quart pot, GI spoon and cup (spoon and pot are in the dishwasher LOL), and the Nagelene bottles for water storage, the water purifier is a MSR ceramic unit that screws right to the top of the water bottles.

The red nylon, zip open pouch carries my first aid and hygene stuff and the flash light is a Prinston Tec AA headlight. The black zip open carries extra batteries, bug juice, 550 cord, sewing/repair kit ect.

On the right side, under the slingshot is a Bianchi fanny pack that carries some of the stuff and either a MKII or my G26. This last trip it carried the G26.

Teuf,

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Very nice kit, Teuf. Don't think it will inspire our wannabe though. His collection of comic books and old gun rags is underimpressive.

RIKA

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Im sure it won't, he doesn't have enough field time to even understand what he's looking at. Pretty sad state of afairs for JD, who holds himself up as the Ultimate Backpack Survivalist Cannibal.

He once posted a list of "his" (doubt he actually had it) gear, but it had the ring of BS to me, and kind of read like a K-Mart summer sale flyer LOL Rostov moved in and ate his lunch, it was pathetic.

We will never, ever see another list from the "pro" LOL

Teuf,

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Got that correct.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That is a good tog Teuf almost ideal for its purpose.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's a mighty fine looking slingshot Teuf. You should zoom in so JD can get a good look at how to equip himself. ;)

Though they've been staples with hikers for years, I never carried a Nalgene water bottle. I finally started carrying one when I switched to a water purifier that was built for one to screw into the bottom of it (Katadyne Combi-filter).

My Gregory Forester got destroyed, so it's been nostalgia time and I switch off between my modified ALICE and my old Jansport external frame. I'm flexible on my gear and going through a bit of a retro phase, so I've not been in a hurry to get another new internal frame. My water bladder, a 3 liter Camelback Unbottle, is portable and just drops into whatever pack I'm using at the time.

I like the way you redid the handle on that Norlund. Been thinking of re-handling my Norlund, might do it in a similar fashion. One of my next tinker projects will be an actual carry scabbard for my Norlund rather than it's bit cover. Sometimes I bring the Norlund, sometimes I bring a khukuri, depends upon my mood.

For cooking gear I use my venerable 2 quart aluminum pot though I have been thinking of switching to a #10 coffee can. I also use a USGI stainless steel canteen cup and an old Stansport chow set that I've been packing since time began, the type where the spoon, fork and butter knife all lock together.

One item that I've packed a lot which I kind of like is a small grill for laying over a fire, the ends propped up by rocks. It's handy and doesn't weigh much. It makes a great way to cook fish and meat. I put it in a plastic bag when I pack it.

I pack a North Face sleeping bag also, plus a bivy, a poncho and poncho liner, and an OD tarp with reflective mylar on one side. My Ridgerest mat is black, though, not green.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
great pic

of your kit there YOU OL' OIL FIELD DEVIL DOG![i'm 0331,m-60]

all that gortex kit is excellent for your A.O.

DOWN HERE IN THE ARRID S.W. IT'S WATER!

that is priority, there for, i have the little boxes of clear plastic garbage bags
to labor into solar stills. with a W.W.2 BOMBER issue folding bolo [blade not near enough long ,for my liking]

don't try to 'suck barrelhead' cactus like in the MOVIES, ha! the cure will kill you![i.e. the drizzillin' chits] :cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rostov
I have a couple, few Norlund hatchets, I buy them whenever I can, the handle on that one is a thined down "riggers/framing" hatchet handle. I wanted to give the "tommahawk" thing a try. I like it that way though I'm not sure it offers any advantage over the curved "does foot" style.

I have alot of backpacking/military web gear and it gets switched around alot, I don't like to pack and unpack to suit situations, so keep different packs set up for different things. My "personal" SHTF pack is a honorobly discharged internal frame military pack (SFO 90?) designed after the old LOWE design. It's dated by todays standards but a couple light years ahead of ALICE gear. It's adjustable, rugged as hell, ALICE bars all over it and woodland cammoed. Much of the gear in that pack is GI, though a fair amount is civvie. The contents in general don't vary too much, except the addition of ammo and ratted MRE's and a couple E&E related iteams like a LW nylon headstall/riens with a harsh twisted wire bit, in case I get tired walking/running LOL. The whole loaded pack slides nicely into a old sea bag to protect it in the cross bed box of my pick-up. Also in the sea bag is a clothing bag with seasonal clothing that could get taken or not, map case and a take down shotgun case with a ACOG sighted, SP1 CAR15 and .22LR con.

I do the retro thing myself and have a Kelty Super Tioga frame pack I use when we are backpack hunting. It was a special 20th Aniversity issue and is a nice OD green with the new style frame and suspension it's really a good pack. I like it for hunting because it's easy to take the pack bag off and lash on quarters of game. Hauling meat in a internal frame pack doesn't work all that great.

I wouldn't do without the Nag bottles, they are far better than GI cateens IMO, I like the wide mouths for loading them with snow or filtering water though a coffee filter before it gets pumped ect. Lots of times, if the water is clear, I will treat it with tabs instead of pumpig. The big, two quarters are my favorites, one quart just isn't enough, if you are going to the trouble of pumping water might as well do enough to make a difference. I use either a 1 quart or 2 quart ss pot, with fry pan lid, dependeing on the time of year. 2 quart for winter camping (melting snow) or if thier is a couple of us and 1 quart for solo. I like the fry pan lid for cooking all those yummy brookies LOL.

I also have a small three rung telescoping aluminum grill which is handy for campfires, not in the picture because we were above tree line in a wilderness area which allowed no fires. When we do that we carry a MSR Whisperlite stove, not in the picture because it was in my daughters pack. When group camping we split up group gear, no reason to be redundant.

The sling shot always goes and is great for shooing moose out of camp or knocking a bluegrouse down. They are just plain fun to gioof around with and work great for mountain grouse.

Teuf.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Personally I carry 4 military canteens, each with its own canteen cup. One is designated for washing and the remainer as cooking utensils. As for drinking, I've spent tooo many mornings at "O" dark thirty sucking hot coffee from a canteen cup not to see the benefit of my Alladin travel mug colored in forest green. I like the idea of a hatchet and the one I currently own spends more time in my truck than in my ruck, I should probably consider a spare.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The devastating SHTF survival sling shot

Here ya go Rostov, maybe JD thought we were talking about a forked, apple tree branch and a piece of old bicycle tube LOL He's not the brightest penny in the role when it comes to outdoor issues.

I inclued pictures of two variations of the highly effective survival weapon for JD's viewing pleasure. The slingshot on the left is my tried and true Tru-Mark that sports ammo storage in the grip. The model on the right is a Marksman, as sold by Walmart, it belongs to my youngest boy. I don't really care for it I don't like the lack of ammo storage and the sharp angle of the wrist support.

Something else to know is that Tru-Mark sells two stregnths of bands, the normal that comes with them and the "hunting" wieght that is quite a bit stouter, replacement bands are $2.25. The Marksman's slingshots are about $5 and the Tru-Mark's run $9.

All kidding aside wrist-rockets are pretty darn usefull and alot of fun :cool:

Teuf,

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I carry a wallyworld special, when I ride my mtn. bike. I put it in the sheath from a gerber gator, and keep a shirt pocket full of glass marbles to use on the local dog packs. I like the slingshot because it it quite, accurate, cheap, and fun. It will break a small dog party up but it doesn't make enough noise to worry about. I have used one along with a .22 pistol on hikes in N. California woods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts