Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these to try out for another SHTF food.
Not really impressed, at least not in the shipping packaging and the fact that I ordered off of eBay and it arrived in an Amazon Prime package.馃槨
And, crappy packaging not good enough to prevent damage.
I bought these mistakenly thinking they'd be as durable as some claimed. Well yeah they are crackers not ballistic panels but I expected a little better than this.
IMG_20210505_230558689.jpg
u

IMG_20210505_230538883.jpg

Inside of package:
IMG_20210505_230652948.jpg
IMG_20210505_230658904.jpg

Registered
Wow!

Registered
the good news is, you don't have to crumble them for your soup.....:p

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the good news is, you don't have to crumble them for your soup.....:p
That's true and probably be what I'll use them for. If they were sold anywhere near me I'd buy a box off the shelf. Mass produced hardtack isn't very popular in non costal states and particularly the South as far as I know.馃榿
I paid my money and took my chances. I hate leaving bad reviews but this was ridiculous. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Remember the old 1980's era MRE Crackers? I used to call those industrial grade crackers. And also joked about sharpening the corners and using them as improvised throwing stars.
Well these ain't them.馃槤
I'd think I'd do better buying "Club Crackers" at Wally-mart.馃ぃ

The only bright side to this is the box is so big, there's 2lbs of these, I'm hoping some in the middle will be salvageable for field use. And as far as I can tell there's no expiration date. At least not a noticeable one.

Registered
"C" Ration crackers are best for not crumbling and they don't taste bad. Actually no taste at all. The downside was that they were so dry they would instantly suck all the moisture out of your body.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well not all are crumbles but several are broke into big chunks.
I think if they were in a better package system with dividers to keep from pounding themselves to crumbs might help.
But that adds bulk ah well. Trying not to make a mess I poured the powdered crackers into a bowel and had them with chicken broth and grated parmesan cheese.
Not bad at all.

Registered
Never tried them. I remember the lifeboat rations that were popular a while back; kind of vanilla-tasting things divided into nine squares. Also agree with Terry on the C-ration crackers, they actually weren't bad (or else I was just grateful for anything we got back then), but they were definitely dry. I actually kept a small C-ration can of cheese for a long time just as a silly souvenir. Tiny can probably a half inch tall; finally threw it away 25-30 years after I got out.

Reactions: Garand

Registered
Never tried them. I remember the lifeboat rations that were popular a while back; kind of vanilla-tasting things divided into nine squares. Also agree with Terry on the C-ration crackers, they actually weren't bad (or else I was just grateful for anything we got back then), but they were definitely dry. I actually kept a small C-ration can of cheese for a long time just as a silly souvenir. Tiny can probably a half inch tall; finally threw it away 25-30 years after I got out.
The cheese wasn't bad. That and the crackers would actually fill you up when you you threw away the main course of Ham and eggs chopped, or slimy Ham and Lima beans. Please, no more, I'm starting to gag!

Reactions: Garand

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was never given c-rations in the military.
However, when a kid in the 70's one of my Uncle's worked for the rail road cleaning out damaged merchandise from boxcars. He also had a deal were anything written off he could keep or throw away. Once it was you guessed it a shipment of several cases of C-rations.
So me and my 4 cousins got several of them. Pretty much all to ourselves as in my Uncle's words "I ate enough of that shit in the Army!". WW II service as a Quad .50/Half-track crewman.

I remember those canned crackers. What really got me was the Orange Pound Cake made with WHOLE ORANGES peels, seeds and all! 馃ぃ
Now that stuff you had to have a bunch of water, milk or coffee to wash down. And solid teeth for the baked seeds.

After experimenting as in taste testing this Pilot Bread stuff it's not really bad and thinking about how it's packaged I'm not sure if it's the shippers fault or not.
The crushed end was also the end that would probably be the "bottom" of the bag and I imagine 2lbs worth of 3-3/4" diameter crackers getting bagged assembly line fashion isn't gentle either. But that was also the unpadded end when packaged for shipping. Ah well.
BTW- The MRE Crackers are usually available for sale by the case but not of course now.
I might go ahead and get some more of these to stash back but I want to research different sources.
Funny that there's no expiration date on these but they have the Circle U kosher mark on the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts