Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to put a sight system on one of my pistols. I'm considering a Holo type sight or an Aimpoint type. I've got 2 pistols that I think would qualify, a Colt 1911 enhanced .45 or a Colt Model 22 auto. I'm sure there is a sh!t load of stuff for the 1911, has anyone seen anything for the 22?
Any opinons on makes and models?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Check out those holosites before you spend your money on them. I found that the quality of your vision will affect how well they work for you.

I got one a couple of years ago. From what I remember it was a circle with a dot in the middle. To me, the entire thing looked very fuzzy and indistinct. Nothing I tried made it any better. I asked my wife to take a look at it and I asked her if the dot in the center of the circle looked funny. She said "What dot?". Her long distance vision is really bad, and to her all she saw was a complete red fuzziness. Well, I took off my own glasses and then looked through the site. Hell, I saw the same thing she did. Just a big red blur.

No way this would work for me, so I sent it back.

To date, I have not heard anyone else mention this problem, and it certainly does puzzle me. Both my wife and I cannot have the only eyes around that are not compatible with this type of sighting system. Now I do have a couple of other red dot types of sights that work well, so I know ALL of them aren't a problem for me. But try to check it out yourself. At the very least make sure the place you buy it from has a very understanding return policy.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I have a Propoint mounted on my 1911, I haven't shot it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I've been looking for a mount for my Colt model 22. The rear site is mounted on the slide itself, so that won't help much. It has a vented rib that is held in place by 3 counter sunk screws. It sits in a channel machined out of the top of the barrel. It would be a great spot for a drop in base for scope rings. Now I just have to find one, or find a skilled machinist that can make one!

·
Registered
296 Posts
for some of the machine work if you can give me the
measurements you wish i may be able to be of assistance.
have all the needed equipment here....milling machine, lathe, band saw, belt sanders, buffers, dremel(yes they do have good uses outside of GK's hands)
drill press.

have made alot of my own stuff as needed but mostly for RC gasoline powered boats. would be willing to try free of charge if you like though as long as what you request is legal.
sean

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be super!

I'll have to round up some calipers and get some measurements. I can probably put some pics together also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kelly McCann and co have been running the Doktor Optics reddot sight on their Glock 19s for the last several years and have been very pleased with them.

A friend of mine had a Glock M19 set up similarly after training with McCann two years ago and he loves the thing.

Pretty slick little set up, particularly if you run a red dot on your carbine as well [one 'sight interface' for both platforms].

1 - 8 of 8 Posts