Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Hey they may have been a one-hit-wonder, but that's the one where they had Patty Smyth singing for them, not to mention all painted up on the front cover.

Don't tell me I'm the only one who bought a record because it had a hot chick with warpaint on the cover.
Well, I did start reading Robert A. Heinlein as a youth because of the cover of the book Friday. It had a pretty girl with a mostly open jumpsuit on the cover. I quickly realized (regardless of the cover) that he was the best writer ever produced by America and have read everything in and out of print by him since then.

I remember records, and still have a couple (like The Chipmunks Sing "whatever the hell they sang"), but how many of the younger members on this board remember books and what they are for.....

KJ

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Come to think of it. . .do y'all remember records?
We have an antique Victrola in our living room, the old hand-crank wind up type. The records for it are probably 12” or so in diameter and nearly a quarter-inch thick. The first time my youngest son saw one of the records several years ago, his reaction was, “Dad; when did they have floppy disks that big?”

Enough to make you feel old…

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
yep. If you clamp 4 fishing sinkers on the corner, toss them, up, and hit them just right with a .45 swc, it will cut them in half. Impresses the hell out of all witnesses. :) It's actually a bit easier than doing the same thing with playing cards.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
KJUN said:
Well, I did start reading Robert A. Heinlein as a youth because of the cover of the book Friday. It had a pretty girl with a mostly open jumpsuit on the cover. I quickly realized (regardless of the cover) that he was the best writer ever produced by America and have read everything in and out of print by him since then.
Same reason I bought it LOL.
I don't know about best writer overall, but best sci-fi author without a doubt.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Ankeny said:
Records, yeah I remember records. I'll bet some of you folks even bought them in 78 rpm. :duck:
Man I still have 33, 45 and .78s

Mabu Khan said:
Heck, even had one or two 8-track tapes.
Good God man! I still have my little case of 8-tracks, but my last radio with an 8-track player no longer works.

Now that's one thing I was thinking of just today. I have one fo those nice cases for the 8-track tapes, you know, fitted, felt lined, the whole smear. Nobody makes a nice CD case or even cassette case like that anymore. Darn it, craftsmanship has flushed down the crapper in this country.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Don't tell me I'm the only one who bought a record because it had a hot chick with warpaint on the cover.
I bought a tape once because it had FIVE hot chicks on the cover........the band was called "Poison".

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Awww dude, I REALLY hope you're joking and know that Poison is four guys . . . .
LOL When Poison first came out we saw a flyer for a local club they were going to be playing at. Everyone thought they were chicks. In our defense, this was pretty much at the beginning of the top 40 "hair bands" and it WAS West Virginia. But ya, until I heard them, I thought they were girls.

A friend of mines band opened for them.

My mistake......I also thought Poison was 5 guys. I guess it was only 4.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Poison was a hell of a lot better than Bel Biv Devoe SINGING "Poison."

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
We have a stack of 33 rpms, most in there original covers. My wife dragged them out one day and I saw Woodstock, Sgt. pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, (with the original picture booklet) and about three dozen other top name groups (at the time) and I thought there has to be collector's out there that would pay big money for these. Wrong. $5.00 a piece on e-bay.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Under stress we fall back to whatever our level of training is. The majority of CCW holders (and many police) don't train enough. If we train for aimed fire, under stress we will do aimed fire. If we don't train, train some more, train again, and again - for aimed fire. Then we will not give aimed fire when it counts.

Shooting IS a perishable skill. You use it or you lose it.

We fight like we train. We should train like we want to fight.

Only hits matter.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I think Kyle Rittenhouse shows the effectiveness of aimed fire, in at least one instance, a first shot miss would have resulted in his death.
(not going to argue the merits of him being there, only that he acted better than most, and as far as I can see was 100% justified in every one of the shootings)

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I've watched the daily reports of that trial. I'm sure in a non woke world this type of B$ wouldn't pass the start line.

Reactions: jaison and BigEd
21 - 39 of 39 Posts