Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

platnium plus ammo

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  andy 
#1 ·
Anyone tried out the RCBD platnium plus "total fragmenting soft points" ?

Their 90gr 45acp is rated at like 1900fps and 800ft/lbs

The 38gr 223 is something around 3800 fps and 1300 ft/lbs!

I wonder if the stuff is really that fast?

From what Ive been told he gets these insane speeds by having less surface area make contact with the rifling and by using these lighter bullets.

At 30-40 ferns for a box of 20 its quite pricey.

#2 ·
I doubt it, but you could pull the bullets

get a 460 rowland chamber, and do even better. I don't like the idea of the bullet turning into dust at impact. I much prefer my 3 frag idea, with the hollowbased, wadcutter shaped, nose heavy real section giving plenty of penetration.

#3 ·
I'm surprised the anti-gun crowd hasn't hatched a cow over fragmenting bullets. How the heck will the authorities get barrel engraving markings off of something like that? Heck, give the bad guys a revolver (leaves no casings lying around) with fully fragmenting projectiles and there goes their ballistic fingerprinting plan right out the window.

#4 ·
Rich,don't forget the .45cal blackpowder sabot rounds that use a .38cal bullet.Not much left of those either after they've been fired out of a .45.Especially a Ruger 45.:)

#5 ·
Hey, I didn't know about those! Sounds like a neat project to play around with using my Anacondas in .45 Colt. :)

I've kind of had my eye opened for an AMT in .30 Carbine, thinking I could play around with those sabboted .22 projectiles. Gun shows used to be filled with them until I started wanting one. Haven't seen one since. Probably just as well, because I would imagine they wouldn't work so well in a semi-auto.

#8 ·
Or a rat-tail file.:eek:

#10 ·
If youve ever watched any of these police investigation/forensics shows you can see what a joke it is.

They take a pic of the primer on a fired casing from the crime scene, then do the same with the suspected murder weapon, cut the two pics in half down the middle and kind of superimpose them over each other. If they line up they claim they have the murder weapon....

Im not sure about the rifling thing either. Most barels now are made under pretty exacting tolerances. Besides how often would someone find some intact bullets after they've bounced off of bones, shedded their jackets, hit walls, etc. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.