Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and have the pictures of kills to prove it. You don't need to pull head shots on deer with 223, not even with 55 gr ball and 10" barrels. Yeah, they might run 100m with such a hit thru both lungs, but unless it's after dark, or at dusk, you''ll see them collapse, in nearly all terrain in the US. In thick jumgle, either fire from a tree or take the head shot, cause ranges will be very short. In fact, in the jungle, ranges will be so short that you can brain the deer with the .22 unit, no problem at all.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so wtf you need monster revolver or Contender for, hmmm? Can't get within 50m of deer, you suck as a hunter. If you can't hit a 10" vitals circle, braced position slowfire, at 50m, with a real sidearm, you such as a pistolero, too.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You are talking to yourself again. This is a real sign of serious mental problems. You raelly should consult your doctor.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
andy said:
Plenty say .22mag rifle, 9mm carb=deer-capable and have the pictures of kills to prove it. You don't need to pull head shots on deer with 223, not even with 55 gr ball and 10" barrels. Yeah, they might run 100m with such a hit thru both lungs, but unless it's after dark, or at dusk, you''ll see them collapse, in nearly all terrain in the US.
It sounds good, but in real life it doesn't work very well. Studies by state Wildlife agencies have revealed that about 20 percent of all deer shot are unlikely to be recovered without a dog. Then consider that while the loss rate is nearly constant for .24 to .30 calibers, it is much higher with .22 calibered rifles. If you are trying to find a deer at night, the probability of loss is far greater.

On deer hit by cars, it is not uncommon to observe old wounds from badly placed or deflected bullets. Two years ago, a large, freshly shot buck ran across a road in front of my car. He had been hit on his left front shoulder and was loosely dangling his leg. I stopped and watched him travel 75 yards or so across a field to disappear into a tree line.

andy said:
In thick jumgle, either fire from a tree or take the head shot, cause ranges will be very short. In fact, in the jungle, ranges will be so short that you can brain the deer with the .22 unit, no problem at all.
My state has a display about poachers that the Wildlife folks show to the public. It includes a scoped and silenced precision .22LR rifle. The poacher was considered a real pro who went around beaning deer in the head at night. They caught him, so they might be able to catch other poachers, too.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy, you think that you know it all and are the best of the best. But you're not. None of us are. All we can hope to be is one of the best and win sometimes. We all learn new things and better ourselves each day. One day, even at your age, you will learn this. Hope its not too late.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I've got no doubt that a 9mm carbine and even a .22WMR rifle are "enough" for many deer, if the hunter does his part. The .22 mag has probably 300-350 ft/lbs, and the 9mm should have 500-600, as it has 400+ out of a pistol.

I hunt with one guy who still uses a .32-20 lever gun, and uses it very successfully. This thread got me curious, so I looked it up. The .32-20's only got 325 ft/lbs at the muzzle, which puts it in the same range as the .22 magnum. Admittedly, it's shooting a heavier bullet, and energy isn't the only relevant factor, but it's "a" relevant factor. The .22 magnum at the muzzle has the same energy as the .32-20 at the muzzle, and the same at 50 yards as the .32-20 has at 100 yards; so it's "in the neighborhood". Not ideal, granted, but usable.

When I run across the typical power-mad hunter that just has to have a 7 mag for whitetail, I like to remind them that for a lot of years, north americans were using the .32-20, .25-20, .44 rimfire, etc, as their normal "everyday" guns, for hunting and defense both. So while those guns may not be 'current', they're demonstrably 'capable'.

Regarding the "monster revolver", I just like mine. It gives me pleasure. No reason I "have" to have it, any more than there's a reason I "have" to have extra rifle magazines, more than one watch, or satellite tv. I just choose to.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Shot Placement is key in all cases, not the "wonder bullet" that you choose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts