Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waterfowl season opened this last weekend, and my son called me up Friday night to make sure I was ready. Then he suggested that since the season didn't start until noon, I should whip up a batch of beef jerky and we would kick around in the woulds and plink for a couple hours. He got to my house about 7:00 A.M. and after a quick cup of coffee, we proceeded to the gun safe. I expected him to grab my Colt Carbine, but he chose his old slide action .22 pump. I grabbed my old iron sighted Ruger 10/22 and Taurus M94. He already had his Ruger MK II, so we were set. We just rambled in my woods, slaugherting pine cones, destroying knots on dead trees and generally creating havoc. We hadn't done this in couple of years, and I forgot how much fun it was. No tournament to win, no pressure to obtain game, just a pleasant shooting experience. I'm going to do it often. (It got to hot to duck hunt, we went fishing instead. ;)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck yeah, I agree. Surprising how effective it can be, too. I just went down today and cranked up the Mosquito Magnet down in my shooting area so it can clear out the mosquitoes for me. Hopefully I will have some time to do some shooting pretty shortly. It's damned hard to concentrate with those pesky blood suckers buzzing you.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Plinking is fun, and is a good way to build certain skills and develop muscle memory. It can be great for range estimation, calling your shots, etc.

But, the main thing, is it is just a great way to have fun and enjoy life.

Too bad the concept of recreation is lost on some.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I practice quite a bit on regimes to compete in various matches. This does nothing to releave stress. It probably induces it!

But nothing beats taking a few good guns and potting cans, caps, and the like for an afternoon. You can play 'Johnny Ringo' or 'Sargent Rock' all afternoon and have balls of fun. If it's with .22s, it won't cost much more than a night at the movies, if that!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I love plinking with my youngest daughter, now there is bonding!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
It is fun, good stress relief and good to enhance shooting skills; but most importantly it can be a wonderful bonding element with a son or daughter or other shooting partner. Those memories will be priceless.......

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i can attest!

it's always kept me 'CENTERED' in life [now thats funny in it's self]

i for [1] am glad, for the glimse,of a moment in time of a persons life,

that shared!

thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts