Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across some PMC "Scoremaster" .22lr ammo the other day and was curious if anyone has ever used it. I'm historically no fan of PMC at all, but it was at a shop that caters to silhouette shooters, and the owner (naturally) swore by it, as did a customer in at the time, so I bought a brick just out of curiosity.

It's 40-grain solid, "standard velocity" (i.e. subsonic), and priced lower than any subsonic solid I've come across so far. $16.50 a brick, iirc.

I ran a crude test, both to check the ammo, and also to check the alignment of the suppressor mount on my new CAR-15. (Testing with .22LR's first is "safer" and appeals to a conservative like me...)

Shooting straight down into a 5-gallon bucket of water, ran 2 mags of the PMC thru the Ciener. (Had to "top off" the water in the bucket between mags.) Surprised me that 19 of the 20 rounds completely penetrated the full 14" of water, out the bottom of the bucket, and into the ground. The one I was able to recover was undamaged (no baffle strikes), so I've since started running some .223 thru the gun & suppressor comination.

I didn't expect that much penetration from a 40-grain subsonic .22lr; goes to remind us of how easy it is to disrespect the little 22. I may start carrying some of this to replace some of the subsonic HP's I carry; have to shoot it some more & see how it does accuracy-wise.

Anyone else have any experience with this load?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
With that particular load, no. But I was wondering why you don't like PMC? I've found it to be some of the most accurate ammo out of all my guns I've tried it in. In handguns, it shoots right up there with the premium ammo. I'll look for dome of that .22 ammo though.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I have fired the PMC Scoremaster ammo, but I don't think that is their match quality stuff. The Scoremaster was pretty accurate for an inexpensive 22LR ammo. One thing I noticed about PMC ammo is that it has a very distinct characteristic. Did you notice it? I can walk around a range and immediately tell who else is shooting it. I walked up to a guy one day at an indoor range and asked him if he was firing PMC ammo, he was amazed and asked how I knew.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Of course it would be the smell. I have never smelled any other ammo like. I realize it may be out there, but so far at least for me it has been unique.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Maybe they put pot leaves in with the powder to keep their cutomers happy? :dgrin:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Maybe they put pot leaves in with the powder to keep their cutomers happy? :dgrin:
Since most of it's made in Mexico now it's probably Pot ashes. Think about the image that creates. :blowup01: :eek2:

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Magnum88C said:
With that particular load, no. But I was wondering why you don't like PMC? I've found it to be some of the most accurate ammo out of all my guns I've tried it in. In handguns, it shoots right up there with the premium ammo. I'll look for dome of that .22 ammo though.

To be fair to them, I've only tried four different PMC loads other than this. Their .300 win mag "X" bullet load, some .223 sp load, one handgun load - .357, iirc, and their cheap .22LR "Zapper" stuff.

The .223 and .357 were both inaccurate in my guns, and under-powered; even their published numbers in shooters' bible, etc, acknowledge lower velocity than competitors' loads.

The .300 win mag (Eldorado line, 150(?) grain "X"-bullet) was just horribly inaccurate in my BAR; I mean horribly. As in 8 inches @ 100 yards horrible. I tried it because it was cheaper than most .300 factory ammo, but it was horrible. (Did I mention it was horrible...?) I like the Barnes X bullet, and I have no doubt it would have hammered any game I nailed with it, but I never tried it on game, due to the accuracy issues.

The .22LR Zapper is worse than the .300 win mag stuff. I bought four 250-round "bricks" at a show probably six years ago, and still have several boxes around; it's that bad. Very inaccurate, but the worst thing is the malfunctions that seem to indicate the brass being VERY soft. It regularly fails to extract out of either of my .22 auto rifles, and the Ruger and Beretta .22 pistols. It sometimes fails to feed, stopping a millimeter or so short of seated; which is enough to allow the gun to still fire. This gives nasty mini-shrapnel incidents, with no warning unless you visually inspect the bolt seating, every round before you fire. It even locks up an old .22 revolver we've got laying around. The heads swell upon firing, and lock up the cylinder/frame, so the cylinder can't rotate.

I'd completely given up on PMC until I happened across this. I figured it was worth a gamble; only time will tell. I haven't shot any more yet after those 20 rounds.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've gotten to using PMC Scoremaster almost exclusively in my .22s.(pistols)
It's consistent,accurate,& feeds reliably.The only "complaint"I have has to do w/the wax(?)coating on the bullet.In a disgusting,filthy magazine they can hang up a bit.Clean the crud out of the mag & problem solved.

If I had my druthers I'd shoot more PMC than anything else.The powder burns cleaner in .38,.357,.41,& .44mag than Winchester/Remington.Also,I have yet to see a split PMC case.Good stuff.
YMMV
BTW,not all of their ammo is made in Mexico.I've seen South Africa & Korea listed as manufacturing countries.I've heard that IMI makes some of their stuff too.The last is just unsubstantiated rumor though. :sleeping:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
John in AR said:
The .223 and .357 were both inaccurate in my guns, and under-powered; even their published numbers in shooters' bible, etc, acknowledge lower velocity than competitors' loads.

The .300 win mag (Eldorado line, 150(?) grain "X"-bullet) was just horribly inaccurate in my BAR; I mean horribly. As in 8 inches @ 100 yards horrible.
The .22LR Zapper is worse than the .300 win mag stuff. I bought four 250-round "bricks" at a show probably six years ago, and still have several boxes around; it's that bad. Very inaccurate, but the worst thing is the malfunctions that seem to indicate the brass being VERY soft. It regularly fails to extract out of either of my .22 auto rifles, and the Ruger and Beretta .22 pistols.
Guess it's a matter of what your guns like. Heck, mine are accurate as all get out with Blazer ammo, which most people hate.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Mine like Blazer too but the brass cased reloadable stuff is about as cheap.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
magnum88c said:
Guess it's a matter of what your guns like. Heck, mine are accurate as all get out with Blazer ammo, which most people hate.
I love this stuff, inexpensive and pretty darned accurate for the price. Good enough to hunt with for sure, and great for just punching paper and plinking. Not the best but pretty good in many of my 22s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts