Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if at eye level and with both hands, in order for it to be ANY faster than an aimed shot (by a good hand at such aimed fire) With one hand, at shoulder ht, 3m, and if fired from retention, about 1m is the range limit. Longer ranges mean you have to slow down, or you MISS. If you slow down even .15 second, you COULD have aimed that shot, or at least confirmed that the front sight was superimposed on his chest. Seeing that flash of the front sight suffices to hit the 10" circle of the chest vitals, to 5m or so. At 10m, not only do you need to see both sights, you need fairly precise control of the trigger, too, or any hitting you do will be just LUCK. This has been proven, again and again, with leatherslaps , ccw, when the shottists are required to pivot, to left and right, 90 and 180 degrees, and where different hand start positions are used. These realistic requirement remove the bs "set' start positions that let the point shooters, THINK that they are faster than the aimed fire shooters, at longer ranges than I listed above. Yes, you can be SLOW and point hit rather well, but what's the POINT? The ONLY reason to point shoot is being unable to aim. Sine the Advent of readily available luminous sights, there's no reason to NOT aim, beyond 10 ft or so, and you'd damned well BETTER aim.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
All this tells ud is that you know nothing about point shooting. Using the Applegate-Fairbarin techniques a reasonably experienced shooter can hit the torso of a man sized target at 10 to 15 yards shooting with one hand.. Two handed point shooeing is uaually needed for targets beyond 20 yards. It seems that you have nrver practiced proper point shooting techniques.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Actually, I tend to agree with John, except for the distances. Most people that are trained can hit at 21 feet one handed looking over the sights or just pointing the weapon. After that, you should at least get a "flash sight" picture. I also belive the old adage " that if you have time to look at the sights, you have time to get two hands to the pistol."

·
Registered
549 Posts
There are no absolutes. You need to see what you need to see to make the shot. In some cases, that ain't a hell of a lot, depending on the distance, the size to the target, and man pulling the trigger.

Frankly, I don't subscribe to pointshooting unless you are shooting from retention or some other weird position. The eyes are the fastest thing on the human body so you might as well use them for something. That something can be visual conformation of the index, no matter how fleeting or minimal.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
andy, can you say "William Ewart Fairbairn", "Rex Applegate", or "SAS"? I knew you could.

How about "Mossad", "Yamam", or "U.S. Army's Quick Kill Program"? Nice try.

My great grandmother point-shot an intruder in her house in the middle of the night.

Just as it's good to know how to eat with both a fork and a spoon, it's also good to know how to shoot by both pointing and aiming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts