Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Bearcat model 50 channel police scanner made by Uniden. Its tuned to the local fire and police frequencies. Can also pick up the 2 meter ham band and NOAA weather channels. Very interesting to listen to and has provided valuable information during storms. It picks up routine police activity just fine though for anything of a critical nature the cops switch to one of the "TAC" freqs.

Does anyone else have a scanner and what are your thoughts? Is there any way to modify a scanner to pick up the TAC channels - then it would be really valuable in an emergency.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Scanners are great tools. I've got several including the same Uniden that you have. The truck mounted scanner is a highly modified Cobra scanner that can pretty much pick up everything between 040 all the way up to 999 including the tactical channels for my area which are in the 800 range and most of the military channels.

I also have a VRC77 military radio that is fully functional so I can get the few channels that my scanner can't reach. Now if I could just get my hands on a descrambler... sigh.

Mike

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
OK, which would be the best to get (thinking portable here), i.e. most channels, etc for someone who doesn't have a scanner, and where's a good place to buy it?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uniden makes the best scanners in my opinion and 50 channels is more than enough for me. Its all a subjective thing. I bought mine from one of the electronics stores locally (don't remember the price - it was in 1999). There are probably more sensitive models now with more features. Best to just shop around. Wish I could help more.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I agree with Rika but it also depends on exactly what you want. If you want a hand held portable scanner, Uniden is probably the way to go. If not, and you want a vehicle mountable portable, look for some of the higher end units.

Mike

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
uniden'bearcat' 30 channel thats on all the time in the kitchen

i bought a radio shack 300 channel in o3 'dual trunking'? close-out sale for $150, just to pick up county sheriffs dept. the manual was at least an1" thick

anyway i dropped it off on a friend to program [l.e.o. type] 3 or 4 months ago, and have not got it back yet, thanks for the reminder

i read that manual for about an hour, and knew as much as before i started. :dunce:
he must be having trouble,also

:wavey:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
mag-88, dude your my hero! thats the one i bought[did i forget to mention that i could not find the owners manual any where, the last time i saw it was in the front seat of the ford,and it rode around with me for over a week or better before i dropped it off, to my friend,sans manual]

the link had the adobe format.......COOL!

but those guys at the 'shack' didn't have a clue, as to programing it,i called two different 'shacks' here in town!
i'm looking at the box right now it says it is PRO-93

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Magnum,

That looks like a really nice one. Didn't say what brand but even if it has Radio Shack on it its probably made by Uniden. Please be sure to get the vehicle adapter in addition to the AC plug in.

RIKA
Oh yeah, the vegicle adapter, AC adapter, and problably a secondary antenna for the house are must haves. And I need the dual trunking to pick up LEO/Fire channels around here.

I think Uniden does make the RS scanners. Don't remember where I read that though.

BRASS: Hey that means I get a new book to read and something to play with eh?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
mag, ha! you know just this afternoon i was looking for that scanner manual,and was looking on 'my' book self[wishful thinking] and came across a couple of hardcase binders one is full of arizona wildlife sportsman mags[2 years 1968 and 1969, complete,i think,ha!the issues went up 15cents to 50 cents from 68to 69] or you can choose door#2 a binder full of vintage american rifleman mags 1971 in embossed n.r.a leather binder

your call,ha! p.m. me with mailing address,don't worry my return address will be on the box.

the karma is in motion :wavey:

·
Registered
36 Posts
got 3 here one is a 50 chan programable base unit in the house and i have a 300 channel trunck traker hand held that i got cheap that goes with me in the garage or to the cammper and i have a uniden bc 350 a in the truck on a glass mount ant

·
Registered
46 Posts
You may be able to pick up some channels used by police as far as the TAC channels our Dept can switch to a scramble mode and as far as I know you can not pick it up on scanners. I cant pick it up on mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts