Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost didn't go to the gun show. Was looking for an Enfield MK4 No1. Only one there was mismatched and the guy wanted $250. Too much.

And then I ran into an older fellow, maybe 70 years carrying a cardboard box with a picture of a Makarov on it. I stopped him and we talked. Inside was a single stack Russian Makarov with the adjustable sight, red star grip and all the tools, extra mag and instruction book. Its absolutely beautiful. He named the price and I drew the cash - at least .17 second by the timer.

The gun is perfect (he said it was unfired). Not even a mark on the feedramp or on the magazine followers. After taking it apart, it appears that he was telling the truth.

I'm going to try to shoot it tomorrow. I bought some Barnaul HPs and already have some FMJs. Hope it shoots good.

This was a good day.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Great find. Some people have all the luck!
Hope it shoots good!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while. LOL! I'll give a range report, hopefully, tomorrow afternoon.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kool! :beer:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a Bulgie Mak. Excellent weapons. Never a jam. I would rate them more reliable than a 1911 but less than a Glock (but not much less.)

The best ammo seems to be Silver Bear 115gr JHP. I have not shot any but I've heard very good reports.

The advantages of the Mak over such as the Star BM is reliablity and safety. Since the Star can't really use Plus P ammo it is not much more than a Mak in power, but the Mak has a good DA, a good safety, and a triangluar firing pin that cannot fire the gun if dropped. The Star's firing pin can fire (no firing pin lock) and being pinned in, it will break if dry fired a lot.

The Mak is the way to go for pocket pistols. Way ahead of a Walther or others of the design to! I'm very happy with my Mak. You got a good buy.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Why would you wast $ on that POS when you could buy a Star BM for 1/2 that Money? Mak's don't have the knockdown powere of a Phoenix Arms HP .22 so why spend 5X in money for ammunition? Seriously, is it an IJ70 with the adjustable sights or a stock Russian? The adjustable sight is something of a pain for concealed carry, but the pistol functions like all combloc guns do, everytime.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have an East German that was in pristine condition when I got it. It was one of the first into the country and that particular batch supposedly came from the Stasi arsenal (East German KGB). Mine had obviously seen a professional armorer's job and both the DA and the SA are as smooth as glass.

I've had a lot of pistols, but for daily carry I still love my Mak. It's extremely accurate and in the 10+ years or so I've had it it has NEVER jammed. As DJetAce said, it is also an extremely safe pistol to carry and THAT has come in handy a couple of times.

This pistol has the same quality of finish and machining as a high dollar Walther.

I picked up 5 boxes (250 rounds) of 115gr Silver Bear hollopoint ammo from J&G for about $30 plus tax (about what you'd pay for CCI Stinger .22LR, maybe just a tad more, like 10%). That is some seriously nice ammo, probably the best Mak ammo ever available. The hollowpoints expand great, the cases are plated, and they have military style primer sealant around the bullet and the primer.

The Silver Bears have a very strong powder charge and recommended for steel framed Makarovs only, not for the aluminum Hungarian PA-63 pistols.

In a comparison test I found on the web, the Mak firing 9x18mm Silver Bear chronoed out at only 80fps slower than a similarly sized G26 firing Federal 115gr HP 9x19mmmm loads.

I picked up a set of Pierce rubber grips for mine, but I still like the original bakelite red grips with the thumbrest and the lanyard loop. The original grip assembly is also thinner than the Pierce grips.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i've been kickin' around the thought of putting the dremel cut-off wheel to the lanyard loop on mine.

yes?....no?.../.?[i'm southpaw]

:wavey:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
brass hammer said:
i've been kickin' around the thought of putting the dremel cut-off wheel to the lanyard loop on mine.

yes?....no?.../.?[i'm southpaw]

:wavey:
Ooow, Don't do that. I hate to see C&R guns cut up. Actually, it's your gun do whatever you want, but should you ever decide to sell it, the value will go way down. "Bubba'd" guns, whether rifle or pistol, don't bring much on the market.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rain. Yesterday, today and predicted for tomorrow. The ranges will be flooded so no MAK test for awhile.

RIKA :(

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
C'mon, that'd be close to the kind of environment they were designed for! Now if you can get Garand to do some shooting with it at -60 degrees, you'll be checked out for Siberia duty!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
:laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01: :wavey:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Wussy loaded pc of crap, might as well carry a Beretty M70 .22, just as reliable, 5x as fcheap to shoot, no DA bs to bother with. The diff in price is made up in one year's practice ammo.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
5000 rds a year is not a lot of practice, when you have to make brain hits in order to be realisitcally able to stop a man. The 9x18 most certainly doesn't have enough power to reliably stop men with chest hits. It won't reliably stop a jackrabbit.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andy you are totally ignorant of the Makarov and modern ammunition. Your thoughts are worthless so go stuff a sock in it.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
5000 rds a year is not a lot of practice, when you have to make brain hits in order to be realisitcally able to stop a man. The 9x18 most certainly doesn't have enough power to reliably stop men with chest hits. It won't reliably stop a jackrabbit.
The last jackrabbit I shot with my Makarov was at 45m and I hit it with a 95gr ball round from a batch of some excellent Hungarian, boxer primed, brass cased ammo. It flipped over and didn't move after that - dropped like he was pole-axed.

Yeah, 45m, the Mak is that accurate. Of course, not being an old fart who's slowing down with arthritis and coke bottle glasses helps out a tad. Legally being able to carry the pistol around and practice a lot also helps.

I suppose that you missed the point about how the pre-fragmented HP's in the 115gr Silver Bear flower out quite reliably or the fact that the load in only 80fps slower than a 115gr 9x19mm out of a Glock 26 which is about the same size pistol.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
mrostov, ever shoot jacks with a CZ 52 or other 7.62x25mm? Seems that would be a great round for centerpunching small game.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts