Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was skimming the Alpha Strategy and considering what is the best way to be prepared. You always hear about money in the bank being no good in a crisis. However the majority of people need money and I can imagine different situations all your gear is useless compared to having money. So I'm asking for recomendations on how much to invest percentage of income or real dollars if you prefer finacially and in preparedness supplies and what kinds of investments.

For example not necissarily recommended:

For someone relatively young and middle class, securely employed investing 10% in moderate risk diversified mutal funds and .5% in preparedness supplies such as building up a minimal armory and long term plans of buying a house.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Stacking your chips is always a good idea. Is there any reason not to make money? If one can increase your funds by additional work, interest, or investments, one should.

That's not specific to survival prep, that's just maximizing your income. The fun is safely investing and getting worthwhile returns, and it's always an case-by-case consideration. Investigate all your options carefully, research until your eyes start cracking, and war game them out as best you can.

I know a Jehovah's Witness that saved up for years, dumped $150,000 (IIRC) in the bank, and lives humbly on the interest so he can spread his word. That kind of thing is always a consideration if somehow your means of securing work disappear.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Actually, planning ahead with retirement in mind as well as a possible SHTF isn't really a bad idea. I think a reasonable strategy of having your home paid off with no debt as soon as possible is a worthwhile target. Put money in the bank but have some ready cash on hand as well. Put what you can into the land your house will be built on looking at it as an investment you can capitalize on LONG into the future if you really need to liquify all of your assets.

Money you spend now on guns will never be wasted. Buy stuff that will likely increase in value but yet still be something of utility now and up to the point where you may possibly decide to sell them. Also plan on buying as much ammunition as possible. It could be used in barter if need be, and certainly expect the prices to go upwards. So what you buy now will always be cheaper than the same stuff years from now. Since it will still be good to use decades from now, as long as you take reasonable care in storage, it's definitely worthwhile pinching pennies on other stuff in order to stock up what you can.

Of course, I'm looking in hindsight from what I had planned years ago, so your mileage may vary starting at this point in time. Still, the only way we can even reasonably attempt to predict the future (and be prepared for it) is by looking to the past to see what would have been wise decisions back then and HOPE the same still applies today. Of course, that isn't always necessarily so....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Guys it's been a long time LOL damn it's hard when the computer is down I didn't know how bad I needed it till it was gone :roflmao1:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Hey Guys it's been a long time LOL damn it's hard when the computer is down I didn't know how bad I needed it till it was gone :roflmao1:
I think a lot of people will be singing a similar tune if (or when) the society finally goes into meltdown.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying guns and accesories as investments, picks?

I was at a gunshow this weekend. Nothing special but getting my eye for prices recalibrated. I was assigned overseas a while ago (and came back) and then kept going to IZ so much I could not of told you fair market price for jack. I can tell you a few years before I left (before the assualt weapons ban) I found a half crate of SKSs for $79 ea. Or it could of been $89 but the bottom line was they were under $100. I bought them up and resold them in the next 6 months for about $120 ea and got to keep one "free". Thing is if I had them now I could sell them for at least $300 ea. I'm thinking I'm doing good that I found a cornerstone fund that has averaged 7% over the long run. It's doing 56% now so I'm trying to jump on the band wagon. But if I had bought SKSs with every extra dime I could be cashing out at no less than 300% now! So any long haul picks out there? So far I'm thinking the Mosin Nagant, Bersa 380 and AR15 magpuls.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at it.

I was reviewing my investment picks.

Mosin Nagants, if I wanted a bolt action around that caliber I'd probably go for the extra money an get a Springfeild. More common ammo, american, iconic in it's own right with it's own supporters. Then again if I going to get a Springfeild I'd probably get a Garand and if I was getting a Garand I'd probably get a M14/M1A which... I have one.

The Bersa 380. I keep looking at the drawbacks of the pentration data and the avalibility of 380. I love the classic Wather PPK design but I would not want to send somebody out into the world with one when pocket sized 9mm are so common and even Snubby 357s.

The PMAGs I'll keep as a pick since you can't really have too many.

I have decided to hoard and reload 45ACP. Now to build up a life time supply plus...

BTW, I think I might do some precious metals investing other than gold too.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...ds/5-investments-more-precious-than-gold.aspx

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
ATF refuses to give anyone a number, they want to remain free to prosecute ANYONE, for any number of sales. If they said "12 a year", they know that everyone would then be free to sell 11, EVERY year and WOULD do so, too.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
You'd have lost your ASS using the Alpha strategy, on copper, when he first wrote the book. The fiber optics put the big kibosh on what the author THOUGHT was the great increase in copper's price. I bought gold in 2004 for $450 an oz. Today, it's over $1300 an oz. Are you CLEARING 3x as much today as you were in 2004? If not, you've been ROYALLY screwed. Not only did they not use grease, they used BARBED WIRE. That is what funded the "bailout", obamacare,and the "stimulus". They just PRINTED 3x as much money. Non US people are SMART enough to see that, and bought lots of gold with their existing $, driving up the price, so to speak. In reality, the price of gold (first, later all goods and services) will rise whenever govt's print "extra" money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Proper investment strategy is more important than hoarding "Moar guns!" "Moar ammo!".

You are far more likely to be dealing with inadequate income in old age than dealing with the zombie apocalypse.

I use the shotgun approach -- invest in many things, in many markets -- and DON'T BE STUPID.

BUY NOW. The best time to buy, lately was around March of last year. When the market crashes, is the best time to load up. Ever hear "Buy low, sell high?" Most people are STUPID and do the exact opposite -- they get in when the market is high, then panic and sell out when the market crashes and burns.

Pay attention to the news for possible investments, and don't be afraid to sell with you're flying high. That's how you make money.

Just one example: I bought Ford stock for $2.03 a share back in 2009, just after they announced they wouldn't be taking stimulus money, anticipating their stock would rise fast. It's $14.13 as of checking this morning. Do the math -- my $10,000 investment is worth how much?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy, good for you on the gold. I have some precious metals too. Gold's price has been inflated lately by worried investors. I'd recommend selling or futures if you feel adventurous. Tell me if you want to do futures. But hey it's your money. I'm busy buying the hell out of mainstay stocks. Europe is looking like a good long term investment too. A few days ago I got out of a potential finacial black hole in semiprecious gems.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I'm with Bill ONeal and his Investor's Business Daily paper. His books and his paper let him MAKE things happen, according to his strategy. So many people use it that it's as close as anything to a sure thing in the market. I have nearly free access to both a major stock picker, and an ex CFO of a major hedge fund, by email. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts