Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Prepping is now a World Wide consideration for some

507 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BigEd 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It's funny how we think of prepping as a "comes & goes" kind of thing, getting more or less prevalent based on current events. In most of history - as I understand it at least - the 'prepper' lifestyle was just simply everyday life for most people, at least in non-nomadic civilizations. Having large quantities of food & supplies on hand was a sign of wealth, and having smaller quantities was still a sign of caution and carefulness. My dad talked about the bank sending a man to look at the current home before deciding on a loan for a new home; this was back in the late 40's or early 50's, when he was shortly back from the war and before I was born. He said the man from the bank looked to make sure the current house was not only relatively clean, but looked at the state of the pantry as well. My parents had three kids at the time (I was the sixth) and the bank guy supposedly told them that he was simply verifying that they were responsible people who planned for uncertainty, rather than irresponsible people who didn't think about the future. That's a valid consideration when looking at loaning someone a substantial sum of money - it's a shame imo that the practice isn't still a common thing.

Even in my time, growing up on a farm in the 60's & 70's, we made a point of having canned things from the garden, two freezers in the basement, tools & spare parts on hand, etc; and most of the people we knew did similar. I'm sure there were people who didn't, but we simply didn't associate with them to my knowledge. Nowadays, civilization has made it easy to be 'carefree', buying our morning coffee in a $7 cup every day instead of a $10 can every month, and "picking up dinner" on the way home from work, instead of actually "making dinner" from groceries in the home.

It's a good thing imo that it's coming back around into fashion, but it seems silly and irresponsible to me that it ever goes out of fashion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.