Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that bottleneck (BN) cartridges are a problem with black powder. Supposedly, the design causes uneven ignition and pressure. I was considering the Sharps 40-70 BN or the Sharps 40-90 BN but was told because of the potential problems with bottleneck cartridges and black powder that I should go to the Sharps 40-70 Straight. Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Why bother? If you want real velocity, why not get a real rifle? the IDEA about black powder is to use what the frontiersmen used. They didnt use jacketed bullets, so the velocity was limited. Why not just face facts?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
Why bother? If you want real velocity, why not get a real rifle? the IDEA about black powder is to use what the frontiersmen used. They didnt use jacketed bullets, so the velocity was limited. Why not just face facts?
Why bother? because he can.

Not everything revolves around your single vision of things.

People do things for fun too.

and you wonder why people react to you the way that they do...

:devil:

·
Registered
90 Posts
blackpowder sharps rifle cartridges?cant be ANY good atall just ask the 40,000,000 buffler what they shoulda woulda couda been took out with!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have a Win sadle ring carbine in 38WCF (38-40) this is a bottleneck cartridge. While I do have dies, I don't reload for it, but buy ammo.

I am not aware of the problems you speak of. This doesn't mean they don't exist, only that I cannot help you on this one. Sorry.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I load light smokeless in the bottle necked 38-40. Have fired them in both the SAA revolver and the Win M92. The only time I've ever heard of the bottle neck cartridge causing problems was reports I read from when the 44-40 (bottle neck) was introduced in the 1870's. Some claimed that the bottle necked cartridge would 'swell up' and jam the Colt cylinder, preventing it from revolving. I cannot see a bottle necked cartridge causing a problem in a single shot rifle.

RIKA

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you leave airspace when loading with Black, bad things can happen. A BN cartridge might create the potential for this airspace, but with a little care in the loading, shouldn't be too great a problem.

DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts