Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Proof Gunkid is FOS on the 11 CAR

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  John in AR 
#1 ·
The Effects Of Reducing The Barrel Length On Velocity And Accuracy In The 223 Remington

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

All you have to do is extrapolate. The rifle is a Sako S 491 rifle with a 22-inch barrel (to begin with). The barrel went down, one inch at a time, to 10 inches. Chronoed with MANY handloads using 52gr bullets.

Note that a CAR is GAS operated and thus it loses velocity from the gas system to, something a bolt rifle does not.

22 inch 3336 fps, 11 inch, 2842 fps. That's the BEST a 11 inch bolt rifle could get. Just guess what a gas CAR would get! I sure would not be a higher velocity!

It looks like a CAR will lose almost 500 fps over a 22 inch barrel (and the AR-15 is a 20 incher, NOT a 22 incher.)

The CAR is a losers gun, and that's a fact.

#2 ·
And gunkid, we wonder what those heavy bullets you dream of shooting out of a CAR will get. I bet they don't clock 2200 fps. Makes a 30/30 look good.

#3 ·
The Chrono doesn't lie, u pos. Pull the bullets from Win White box 55 gr ball.Put in 27grs of AA2520,seat a 60 gr Nosler partition on it, fire thru a decent 11" barrel, and look at what's displayed on the screen,in warm weather, it will say 2800+ fps. Period. In cold weather, you might only see 2650, but just because you are ignorant and chicken<font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font> doesn't mean that what I say aint so. It just means that you are ignorant and chicken<font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font>, that's all.

#25 ·
The Chrono doesn't lie, u pos. Pull the bullets from Win White box 55 gr ball.Put in 27grs of AA2520,seat a 60 gr Nosler partition on it, fire thru a decent 11" barrel, and look at what's displayed on the screen,in warm weather, it will say 2800+ fps. Period. In cold weather, you might only see 2650...
God bless QuickLoad.

Out of curiosity I ran this through QuickLoad software, using exactly what's listed; a 60-grain Nosler Partition softpoint (part #16316) and 27.0 grains of AA2520. From an 11" barrel it forecasts 2735 fps, and from a 10" (as gunkid now espouses) shows 2651 fps. Sounds good on the surface; but wait, there's more...

The bullet is 0.79" oal, so to keep the overall cartridge within specs so it will fit in a magazine means using a seating depth of 0.289". This makes the cartridge maxed-out lengthwise at 2.26 inches; so that's as shallow as we can seat it and still fit it in a magazine.

Adding 27 grains of AA2520 makes it not only a compressed load, it's compressed from 108.5% of total case volume with that bullet, even seated as shallow as possible & still fit in a magazine. That's a lot. For visual reference, 28.5 grains of that powder overflows the case even without a bullet.

Okay, maybe that isn't as bad as it sounds. Does it still run at safe pressures? We're using .223 generic-load brass, and the maximum pressure rating for .223 in ANY brass is 55,000 psi.

Know what? Never mind those lame, feeble .223 specs; we're mighty warriors, even if using feeble, generic .223 brass to cobble up this load. So if we just "don't worry about it", and use 5.56 pressure specs instead - surely that's okay..? Max 5.56mm pressure is 62,366 psi; so surely that's acceptable. Right..?

No. This load runs 64,479 psi. That's only a little above the 5.56 (which we shouldn't be using anyway), but is almost 10,000 psi above what our .223 brass is rated for.

Further, that powder charge, with that bullet, with that 10" barrel length, burns only 91% of that powder charge anyway.

For anyone who's not familiar, please don't try this load. It's unsafe not only in a .223 chamber, but even in a full milspec 5.56 chamber. Use normal, safe ammunition and trust your gear to do what it's designed to do. There is no magic bullet, and trying to create one this way will eventually cost you at least a gun, if not your face & eyes, in the process.

#4 ·
That's right. The chrono DIDN'T lie! Your's is guestimation. These are FACTS! And here is more.

These are HEAVY bullets from a 27.5 inch barrel. Just think what pitiful velocity you will get from a 11 pos CAR.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223heavy.html

The CAR is a losers gun. And that's a fact.

#5 ·
Accurate Smokeless power manuel list AA2520 for the 55 gr bullets 26.1gr. 27 gr for a 60 is WAY OVER. Another lie caught.

#6 ·
#7 ·
If temp is giving you a 150 fps spread, you are definetly using the wrong powder or lying.

Actually this whole deal sounds like a bunch of BS, I can't imagine why anyone would pull the bullet from a loaded round, dump out the powder, add another powder and them seat another bullet into the case.

I have a bunch of experience buliding "mexican" match and if you don't run the loaded round though a taper crimp die, the bullet won't have enough case neck tention to keep from setting back in the magazine or when chambering.

Teuf,

#8 ·
Teufelhund said:
Actually this whole deal sounds like a bunch of BS, I can't imagine why anyone would pull the bullet from a loaded round, dump out the powder, add another powder and them seat another bullet into the case.Teuf,
My thoughts to. Why ruin a good round as you can buy primed brass. Sounds real bs to me.

And gunkid, the CAR is a losers gun. I PROVED it.

#11 ·
it proves nothing of the kind, old man. Just like your CLAIMING that you saw lots of guys shot with pistols, in Korea, doesn't establish jack crap. All you bozos have to do, is pull the bulllets from some Win White box, load em as I 've said, and fire them across the chrony, but u r too cheap and lazy to even do THAT much. You KNOW that you'll be shown that I'm correct, and you can't ADMIT that. :)

#12 ·
Now let's take that loading data I showed (which is found on Accurate Arms reloading website in PDF form!)

Accurate Smokeless power manuel list AA2520 for the 55 gr bullets 26.1gr. gives 3224 from a 24 inch barrel. Even IF you got 27 grainsg that would give no more than 100 fps. Why, because 23.5 gr gives 2966 fps. Going .9 gr from 26.1 to 27 will NOT give more than 100 fps. That would be 3324 FROM A 24 INCH BARREL! Stu*pekid's barrel is 11 inches. He is going to lose at least 700 fps which makes it 2624 at the MOST. NOT 2800+. Not even CLOSE to 2800.

Then when you add the loss of velocity PROVEN at the accuratereloading site, where they cut done the barrel from 22 inches to 10, it shows gunkid is a fos liar.

FACT! The CAR is a pos losers gun. This is now FACT.

#13 ·
How lame is this LOL

223 fan said:
u do it cause you dont wanna bother prepping the case, dumbass. These lazy bastards aint going to actually prep 20 odd cases, just to get proven WRONG.
Coming from the poser that claims to pull bullets and dump powder to keep from having to prep cases.

Then claiming others are too lazy to prep 20 cases?

Teuf,

#14 ·
And gunkid. Anytime you post here ANYWHERE on this forum about your CAR, I'm going to post this whole FACT laden thread. You have been proven WRONG. You espect others to chrono (as if they have a CAR), but you are to cheep and lazy to find someone's CAR to have chronoed. Well, I just showed what REAL 11 inch barrels get for velocity. And note the web site said they are not done. More to follow.

The CAR is a losers gun. One pos deserves another! So gunkid and CARs do go together.

#15 ·
You were never in combat and have no idea what fighting at close quarters is like. What you think about it is worthless.

And despite your desperate attempt to change the subject this data proves that your claimed performance levels from an 11.5 inch CaR are lies.

Your ignorance of internal ballistics is utterly apalling!

#21 ·
interesting article attached.

#27 ·
Loving the QuickLoad. Looking into various bullet & powder combinations for working up new load ideas is far & away the thing I use it for most lately.

If I ever get caught up enough on my 'to do' list where I have time to work up some .45Colt equivalent loads in .45 Win Mag brass for use with the moonclip gun, it will be handy as all get-out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.