Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys when things settle down for me I want to start doing assembling/gun smith work for myself.

Not going to be working on making my own barrels but do need things like head space gauges, specific wrenches and upper and lower vice blocks.

I have basic general tools, punches and screw drivers etc., back from when I did Parkerizing for extra money and as a hobby.

I also understand some hand guard types like the free floats may have designs requiring specific tools for the tubes and barrel nuts?

So just a good quality basic list is what I need. Brand specific please.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Sorry, I do the basic stripping and assembly, no farther.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A good Snap-On Torque Wrench that does 20+ ft lbs and another that does 15+ inch pounds is the basic start. I'd have to look at work to see my ranges, I don't remember the minimums and maximums, you're looking for 30-80 Ft Lb and 15 - 35 In Lb range as part of normal use.

After that, a Geissele Reaction Rod. They are infinitely better than Brownells' old store brand. Don't even waste your time with anything but the Geissele.

Get the rail / barrel nut tools as you need them. Daniel Defense's tool sucks, but it's easy to replicate. The stock tool will not survive more than three uninstalls of torqued nuts, it is very malleable.

PTG makes proper gauges.

PRI makes a very nice tool initially intended to hold a receiver by the rail or by the takedown pin holes, but it is far superior at lining up rails as a primary purpose. Some of them have oversize pins, PRI will replace them for free if you get old stock. Again, only reason to use the tool is for how it is a comparatively cheap way to align rails dead on every time.

Michiguns and myself make various tools for aligning blocks and FSBs on barrels and drilling them, as well as tools for staking carrier key fasteners.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DW- Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Blast from the past...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yep, that's the one.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks the next order I make to Brownells I'll get one.

Already blew my discretionary income on extra parts and a cutlery item.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts