Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about concealment

As I said before I like to carry a side arm when hunting, but I have a question about concealment. According to state law I can carry a handgun wile target practicing and hunting, as long it is not concealed and that I have written permission from my parents stating they know I have the gun on me. (Or at least that’s how the police explained it). When hunting I where a blaze orange woolrich vest (better safe than sorry) the vest covers the butt of the handgun but the holster extends well below the vest. Is that conciderd concealed? Basically what I’m asking is if you can’t see the handgun but can see the holster is it concealed? If so I could cut a notch in the vest so the butt of the gun would stick out.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
As long as you don't wear it into a place where there'd people, or have it on you when a cop stops you for a traffic violation, it will almost certainly never be an issue. What state are you in? If I were you, I'd call the state's attorney and get the info from the horse's mouth. They probably have a website and an email addy.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, so anything I say is just my opinion and may be totally wrong...

My understanding is that a lot of it depends on what a reasonable person would think. If the holster is plainly visible and you are not trying to hide it, then it is not concealed. Someone would know you had a holster just by looking at you.

However, I also think that if someone wanted to hassle you and cause you grief over it, they could...

If you are not in a hurry for an answer, you could write your local chief of police and ask him. (Take the letter to one of thos mailbox places and have them make a notarized copy of the letter and have them mail the original) If you are fortunate enough to get a favorable response from the chief of police, keep it with your notarized copy of your letter.

Should you find yourself in trouble, these will prove you took every reasonable step possible to obey the law.

But the main thing is to get it in writing from an authority. (gov't official)

Just my opinion...

:devil:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What state are you in, Gun_crazy?

Go to www.packing.org and look up the laws in your state. That will do far more than asking on any gun board. Especially with an idiot like gunkid.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Gun_crazy JR, why don't you ask your parents to contact (call or email) your state's attorney general and request a written opinion from the AG? Make several photo copies of the AG's written opinion and keep one in a waterproof "Ziplock" bag in your pocket while hunting. If anyone questions you, you will have a powerful document in your favor.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A fellow Michigan handgun hunter associate of mine was hasseled on two occasions for the same issue as you (Gun Jr) describe.Once by a State Trooper,the other by a DNR officer.He argued w/them that the holster could be seen.They argued back that it was the gun not the holster that had to be visible.One does not prove the other.They let him go both times w/a suggestion to pick a different coat.

He now saves the belt holster for warm weather & uses either a bandolier or conventional shoulder holster when cold weather hunting.

I like the bandolier type myself.Kind of a modified tanker rig.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If worse comes to worse, I'd use a drop leg holster before cutting the vest... but my understanding is in line with Aslan's.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts