Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 MAC 10's in 45 acp made by RPB Industries in Atlanta Ga in mid 1981. Both fire from the open bolt position and I was told these were banned in 1982 because they were easy to convert to full auto. Both have all original boxes and all paperwork and booklets with them with normal wear and tear for their age. My question is what would be a fair price to ask for these if I decide to sell them? The serial numbers on them are not in sequence so this isn't some rare sequential pair. i got more into H&K than these and to be honest I really don't know much about them besides what I have found so far. Any help on a fair price would be great, and if anyone has more information about these I would like to hear that also.

Brian

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Brian, I have seen them at gun shows here and there. Not common, but they are around if you look for them.

Prices seemed to be around the $800 to $1,000 each price range, if I remember correctly. But they are really a specialty item. Most people won't buy one on an impulse buy, for sure. You need to find someone specifically looking for one. As a handgun, they REALLY suck to shoot!

They were banned from manufacture, just for the reason you stated. At one time I heard there was about a half a dozen ways to convert them to full auto with about 20 seconds of Dremel time. I believe around the same time ALL open bolt guns got the same treatment by BATF.

Good luck!

·
Registered
611 Posts
If it fires from the open bolt, wouldn't a full-auto conversion be possible by just jamming the firing pin in it's forward position?

·
Registered
296 Posts
ALOT OF OPEN BOLT GUNS THE FIRING PIN IS FIXED IN POSITION TO BEGIN WITH. AND YES THEY WOULD BE EASY TO CONVERT BUT AT THE COST OF AT LEAST 3 FELONIES IN THE ACT OF DOING IT AND POSSESING IT. NOT WORTH IT JUST GET A CLASS 3 STICKER AND FILL OUT THE PAPER WORK WAIT FOREVER AND IF YOU ARE WORTHY AND IN A GUN FRIENDLY STATE YOU CAN HAVE THE REAL AND LEGAL THING WITH OUT THE WORRY.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT TO GET A CLASS 3 WEAPON OR ACCESSORY YOU SIGN ALOT OF YOUR RIGHTS AWAY. I DO NOT OWN ONE FOR THOSE REASONS BUT STILL CONSIDER IT FROM TIME TO TIME.

SEAN

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
84 C4 said:
If it fires from the open bolt, wouldn't a full-auto conversion be possible by just jamming the firing pin in it's forward position?
The open bolt mac 10s don't really have a firing pin. There is a nub of metal on the bolt itself where a firing pin hole would be on a floating firing pin style gun. You cock the gun by pulling back on the bolt, which locks into place in it's rearward travel. When you squeeze the trigger, the bolt flys forward, strips a round off of the magazine, and when it gets slammed into the chamber, is struck by the nub, which ignites the firing pin. The recoil of the round pushes the bolt back into cocked position awaiting the next trigger pull. This is what is referred to as a "slam fire" action. Crude, but it works.

There are a couple of other models of guns that used the same method of firing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the class 3 point the same way. Too much stuff to give up to own something you won't shoot that much well at least I wouldn't. These are as they were when they came off the assembly line and I was offered many time to make them full auto but declined.

I thank you for your information though. I know they will be harder than my other items I am thinking of selling to get rid of because they 1 shoot like crap and 2 are not as popular as my FN's or any of my H&K stuff, but they are not a dime a dozen like Ar's tend to be either. Maybe I will just hit a gun show and offer a trade for something I want more than these. ;)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I wouldn't give you a dime for the pair, if I had to keep them. Completely uncontroable on full auto, without a silencer and buttstock, slow, unsafe to carry if ready to fire. heavy, unconcealable jokes.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Andy you couldn't buy them anyway so who gives a flying flip Felcher Mouse.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rich hit the ball park pretty well on the price and value. Ignore the Tard. He doesn't have a clue. The MAC's are very controlable if you know how to shoot. I speak from experience and ownership of a brace of MAC's.

If you want to sell them, check on subguns.com to get a better estimate of price and you may consider selling there.

Mike

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Sure I can, stupid. See, I aint GUTLESS like you are. I'd just print up a Driver's license on my little printer here, show it to the guy, along with the $100 bills, and that would be that, pussy.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
Sure I can, stupid. See, I aint GUTLESS like you are. I'd just print up a Driver's license on my little printer here, show it to the guy, along with the $100 bills, and that would be that, pussy.
And the farmer hauled another load away,

It ain't hay,

It ain't hay,

And the farmer hauled another load away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts