Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since lead bullets are much cheaper does anyone use them for practice/plinking or do you always use FMJ. Also, if you use them, do you do any special cleaning after firing the gun.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I use lead bullets quite often. Hard lead bullets made from wheelweights or those alloyed with antimony can be shot up to 1200fps. Soft lead max velocity is about 800fps without barrel leading. I rarely have to do any extra cleaning.

Just remember that lead bullets aren't recommended for use in the Glocks and Desert Eagles.

RIKA

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I also practice with a lot of lead bullets. Matter of fact, in my handguns, I bet 90% of my practice rounds have lead projectiles. Most are my reloads, and many are projectiles I made from wheel weights and other lead sources.

One reason I like lead is that you can get a better crimp than you can with some weak cases with tapered rounds using FMJ. (I'm thinking of 9mm here.) This makes it much less likely that a bullet will be pushed into a casing my the feed ramp in a pistol. I've never had it happen (knock on wood), but I've heard about it happening. I was also priveleged enough to read an unpublished article explaining why it happens and what factors make it more likely to happen (mainly some factory brass has thinner walls and too "thin" to really grip FMJ on tapered cases).

KJ

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You can go quite a bit above 1200 fps if you use a truly hardcast bullet (with gas checks). I like to run 550-gr .458 bullets at ~1400 fps, and 405-gr bullets at ~1500 fps from my .45-70s. In .44 Magnum, I've found a 300-gr bullet just under sonic ~1050 fps is very accurate and works great.

The two best things about lead are
1.) price, you get a LOT of bullets, cheap
2.) you'll probably never wear out a barrel with them.

And, in big bores, a good, heavy, medium velocity lead bullet is a very effective killer.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I've been reloading since 1986, since then I've had 3 bad bouts of elevated blood lead levels. In each case the Base Medical Officer restricted(read that disallowed) my shooting for a 6 month period while the blood lead level returned to normal. If you are going to wear a mask while shooting go to a certified safety supply store and purchase a mask that is rated as effective in stopping lead airborne contaminent. Most lead on indoor ranges is made airborne by your feet as you walk down the indoor range. While I was in the service, part of retaining my RSO qualification for indoor ranges was that I had to get a blood test every 6 months.

Elevated blood lead levels are nothing to f*ck around with they can cause serious damage to your body. Loss of co-ordination, loss of memory, mood swings, etc. It can really screw relationships up badly. Since I retired I only shoot outdoors which helps minimize airborne lead contaminent. A PMed tech I used to shoot with also let me in on a secret, during the reloading process on a single stage press, you can handle a single round 5-6 times. Your skin absorbs a lot of lead this way. When reloading I now wear latex surgical gloves and since they are cheap, use them in bulk. This way the only time my hands actually touch lead is when I load and fire the firearm. I have shot IPSC and Cowboy action and I am a high volume shooter!

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~toxmetal/TXQApb.shtml
http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/OLPPP/pntblnk1.htm
http://www.precisioncartridge.com/lead.html

Just some light reading.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i shoot lots of lead in my weapons. i load lead for pistols and for a few of my rifles. i have a 45/70 that has never seen a jacketed bullet. i also load lead 170 gr bullets for a 30.06, 308, and a 30.30 i use lazer cast bullets in the rifles but my pistols get what ever a buddy of mine is casting. thats how he pays for his use on the range, he has an automatic casting setup, and can cast pistol bullets almost as fast as i can load them. :cool:

·
Registered
611 Posts
RIKA said:
I use lead bullets quite often. Hard lead bullets made from wheelweights or those alloyed with antimony can be shot up to 1200fps. Soft lead max velocity is about 800fps without barrel leading. I rarely have to do any extra cleaning.

Just remember that lead bullets aren't recommended for use in the Glocks and Desert Eagles.

RIKA
Rika, drop your hot bullets into water after they are cast; it substantially increases the brinnel hardness. So does heat treating.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
In the match that I shot this weekend my shooting buddy & I both used .45acp 1911's. The other 26 people used 9mm's of various types. We were asked many times what type of 1911 and got a couple of comments " geez that .45 is expensive ammo"! Neither my buddy or myself had the heart to say that our cast lead .45 ammo that we reloaded, was probably cheaper then their store bought 9mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts