Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Aside from the fact that the Uberti M73 is an excellent competition/game gun, I believe that if you are going to use a lever action in a self defense scenario you need one that will 1) function flawlessly and 2) cycle swiftly to ensure that you are capable of a fast second, third, forth, etc shot if required.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Again I have to agree with Garand's assessment on these. I'm a relative noob on 1873 rifles, having only one and only having owned it for 2 years or so. But as much as I've liked my 1892's for literally decades, I'm sold on the 1873 now. The only downsides to it imo from a functional perspective is that they're a little larger & heavier (not much, but a little), and can't take as much top-end pressure as the 1892. But while they can't be had in .454 Casull (as far as I've ever seen), they can be had up to .44 magnum. And .44 magnum from a carbine just about duplicates .454 Casull from a handgun & is substantially more than enough for anything I'd ever personally need one for.

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Face it with a pistol caliber carbine, regardless of the type your general maximum effective range is going to be under 100 yds. For a rifle caliber lever action where your engagement is from 100 to 500 yds getting a fast second shot is not as critical.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'd disagree on the 100-yard maximum effective range, but not too strongly. When I first got into suppressors, I used to shoot my single-shot H&R .357 with suppressed subsonic .38 specials on an admittedly big 24" gong at 160+ yards regularly. Probably 85-90% hits, definitely above 80%. That said, it was a known distance, known target, known load, etc; so I know it's not a valid field exercise or anything. Also had a 2-7x scope on it, so definitely not a fair comparison with a typical levergun.

But I suspect a good enough shooter (probably not me) could do a couple hundred yards pretty consistently, especially if using a flatter-shooting load like full .357's or even 9mm, especially if they had a decent optic. I've seen guys who could real regularly hit a standard silhouette at 100 with a glock pistol (this one definitely not me 😕).

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Do you think that at 160 yds your .38 spl load could take down a coyote or some other type of predator effectively?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Garand - good point. Power is still adequate, at 200 yards still having what a lot of .38 loads do from the muzzle of a compact revolver. But assuming a 50-yard zero, it would have over fifty inches of drop at 200 yards, assuming a starting velocity of 1050 fps. Basically, the drop at 200 yards is more than double what it is at 150; I didn't realize it would be that drastic.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

21 - 27 of 27 Posts