Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is in the process of selling a large portion of his AR related stuff and ammo to finance a better AR (hes keeping some P-Mags and his softcase, everything else must go). While I was seeing if I wanted to take anything off his hands, he introduced me to some weird ammo he had procured off of gunbroker. He said when he tried to section one the first time it broke his cutter. When he properly sectioned it, he says he observed a fully jacketed projectile with an aluminum shoe/cup at the back of the projectile holding a solid (seemingly tungsten) penetrator with a conical point.

I had seen a picture that looked like how he described it online once, and it was called something to the nature of "Swedish Tugsten AP." Google hasn't helped in finding the picture again though. It's not the M995 designated penetrator but it's similar. He's going to weigh out all the components of another one on Monday. Maybe he can provide pics after he gets back to me.

The brass is headstamped RORG 88 and has the NATO cross, and the bullets themselves have no pull marks.

Any word on what these are? If they are some sort of special penetrator, what would you pay for 170 or so of them?

·
Registered
420 Posts
5.56 AP Eh?

I'm guessing no designator color (or colour since it's British) on the tip?

I don't know 5.56mm for AP too well. In my opinion you get a little more range and penetration but if you intend to do either of those going into a fight you're basically using the wrong caliber. Getting off my soapbox, in order to price them I'd advise just watching gunbroker. The price will vary alot on wether it is steel core or tungsten on the open market. Your best bet would be if you can get the info directly from the manufacture, Jane's or some other reference you could find in a library. Sorry I couldn't be more help. If it was 7.62 now...

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, that's kind of the same impression I got. That AP is really not all that useful in a 5.56. I'd have to see real world comparison tests done with that round and the SS109s before thinking I NEEDED to have any of them myself.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re the question of 5.56 AP :

M995 will penetrate 3/4" 500 Brinell steel targets reliably up to around 200 yards out of an M4 carbine. I've personally seen this done. IIRC its spec is 2" of aluminium armor at 300m.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Still not sold on 5.56 AP

M995 is also the best of the best I've found. If you have access and safety precautions tell me what kind of penetration you get with this stuff. On military vehicles it's quick becoming obsolete, just a matter of an add on kit. Is it rated to penetrate Level 4 body armor? I'm guessing not since M2 AP (30.06) is the standard.

No arguement if I was getting shot at and it was avalible, it would probably be first in the chamber or hold it for special targets but if I knew light armor vehs or enemies with vests were there I'd carry 7.62 with 50cal support.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, I think AP needs some mass behind it to retain energy at target impact when any moderate distance is involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts