Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the good news:

1) I think I've finally got the barrel on my M59/66 broken in, I see all 2-3in groupings in the center of the paper.

2) I gave my friend (whose never fired a real firearm before) a 3" slug. :dgrin: I can't wait to get a 10ga, that'll replace the 12ga for all first timers. :dgrin:

Now, the bad news:

My M44 still has piss poor accuracy, even at 25yds!! There's no gunk in the barrel, and I even did those soak in ammonium and boiling water deals. This time, however, it may actually be the sights. One of the TSA people managed to knock off the front sight :headbang: , and I "think" I got it back on the way it should be. The rifling does look worn, but it's still there and easily visible.

BTW: This is post .444 :eatpointe

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Are the sights loose?

How is the bore? is it pitted or rough?

How is the crown on the muzzle? Is it smooth or is it dinged?

How is the throat of the barrel? is it worn or is it nice and new looking?

Is the trigger guard loose?

Is the stock cracked or does the action mov ein the stock?

Have you tried different types of ammo?

Is your bench technique good?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hasher said:
Are the sights loose?
No. They are quite firmly in place.

How is the bore? is it pitted or rough?
Nothing that wasn't stated above. It doesn't look pitted or rough.

How is the crown on the muzzle? Is it smooth or is it dinged?
Smooth

How is the throat of the barrel? is it worn or is it nice and new looking?
It's definately NOT nice and new, but it doesn't look any worse than my friend's Kar 98, and that thing shoots great.

Is the trigger guard loose?
No.

Is the stock cracked or does the action mov ein the stock?
No.

Have you tried different types of ammo?
No, it's either Wolf or Norma, and a box of the Norma costs as much as the rifle. The wolf works fine in my friend's 91/30. Of the Wolf, I've only used 200gr. I hear they sell 170 or 150, but 200 is the only stuff I see around.

Is your bench technique good?
I think it's pretty damn good, this is the only rifle I've had accuracy problems with. BTW, my Marlin shoots like a dream at four times the range (100yds), and so does my 710 (but that has a scope, so it's cheating). I can get 1", or less, groups at 100 yds, using the 710.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hasher said:
I would sell it and try another one.
I'm not selling anything. I bet I'd miss it 5min after I sell it. Besides, the bayonet still functions perfectly well, and it still has some weight to it. It'll still be perfectly functional as a spear or club. :)

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Have you tried reloading for it? Maybe a little experimentation with different loads is in order.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
1.) Shoot it with the bayonet extended. IT plays with the barrel's harmonics. Some rifles won't change 2", or groups won't open up, some rifles go all to hell.

2.) The proper bullet weight is 148-gr. It's what they were sighted for, and tuned for. Wolf makes some fine 148-gr FMJ with bimetal (copper washed steel) rather than laquered steel cases. The Czech silvertip also seems to shoot well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried reloading for it? Maybe a little experimentation with different loads is in order.
Alas, I doth not possess reloading equipment.

1.) Shoot it with the bayonet extended. IT plays with the barrel's harmonics. Some rifles won't change 2", or groups won't open up, some rifles go all to hell
Tried that.

2.) The proper bullet weight is 148-gr. It's what they were sighted for, and tuned for. Wolf makes some fine 148-gr FMJ with bimetal (copper washed steel) rather than laquered steel cases. The Czech silvertip also seems to shoot well.
Never see it, but I'l try and find it.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You can order both the Wolf and Czech from J & G Sales

You can also have your local gun shop order the Wolf.

Also try some Hungarian heavy ball, or some of the other milsurp, there's also Barnaul 203-gr Sp hunting ammo.

The heavy ball, and Barnaul 203-gr won't shoot to point of aim, but they may group better, and you can then either sight in for them or compensate.

Reloading, if you ever get into it, might be a way to go, however, you usually have to special order dies to expand to use the .311 bullets the 7.62x54R uses, most "standard dies" come with a .308 expander. Also brass is hard to find and expensive. For this cartridge, you can get away much cheaper buying surplus, or even commercial ammo.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Magnum, isn't .303 British .311 bore? I do see .303 slugs on the shelves of gunshops.

·
Registered
296 Posts
try this out...
take one unfired round
see how far it fits in the muzzle.
if it gets all the way to the case then you have a barrel that most likely has had many a disgruntled/badly trained soldier clean it. may be repairable by shortening it a few inches and recrowning.

if it gets snug way before the case :) then we would want to look for other issues.

this is a quick and dirty test method i use when shopping for curio/relic type firearms the cartridge i use has been drilled through the case after pulling bullet and emptying powder as well as popping primer. bullet then reseated a tad long.
sean

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it gets all the way to the case then you have a barrel that most likely has had many a disgruntled/badly trained soldier clean it. may be repairable by shortening it a few inches and recrowning.

if it gets snug way before the case then we would want to look for other issues.
Just tried it a few minutes ago. The bullet got snug about 1/2 way to the case, if not sooner. I'm going to go with a suggestion from this thread's predecessor and try replacing the sights, because everything else seems to be in good condition. I think www.mojosights.com was the recommended vendor.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Were it mine, before I went to the expense of new sights, I'd slug the barrel to see what I was actually working with. I've heard that some of those barrels weren't subject to good QC, you might not be working with a .311" bore.

DC

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sure. To Slug a barrel, you force a slightly oversized slug of plain lead through the barrel. I use a dowel and a light hand with a hammer to do it. When it has gone the length of the barrel and comes out, put a micrometer to it. Quite often, especially with milsurps, you will get a big surprise. Also, some bores will have tight and loose spots. Uncommon, but they are out there.

I believe the larger mail order houses sell slugs for the purpose. I cast my own, but don't have a mold for a slug to check a nominal .311" barrel. (Got to get one someday because I'm thinking of setting up a couple of the Russians into Scout-style rifles.)

I haven't played with the Russians much, but have heard of barrels ranging from .308" to .313". If you're shooting the wrong size bullet, new sights won't help a bit.

If the barrel slugs properly, then another possibility is a bum chamber/throat. A chamber cast would show that up, fairly simple but more expensive. Cerro-Safe (available from MidwayUSA or Grafs) is used for the cast, but check the bore first.

DC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts