Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, even though last year was a bust for range time, I am starting the New Year off with a bang. Brendan and I went to the range tonight, just for an hour, actually a bit more maybe 1:15. We only went for a short time because the indoor range is really expensive ($7.00 for me and $3.50 for him PER hour).

Despite the brief stay, we shot a pretty good deal even though I cannot shoot when he is shooting. He is under 17, so he has to be supervised at this range while actually shooting. I guess he shot about 100 rounds through the Ruger 10/22 (open sights), and then shot another 30-rounds of 22 magnums through the scoped Marlin bolt action (darn I cannot even remember the model number, dah). He did pretty good, not great but pretty good. At 15 yards with the open sights he got a ragged grouping. After a few mags of ammo, I took the Ruger from him. I could barely focus on the sights - need new glasses. I shot the Ruger once to show him it was him and not the rifle. I got a group about the size of a quarter, maybe a nickel (not counting 2 flyers maybe an inch off of the group) without really being able to focus on the front sight. Then I explained where to hold and how to aim, breathe, squeeze - all that stuff. I guess he listened. After that is when his groups got better as he seemed to concentrate more. He then shot a couple of holes about the size of a silver dollar (this after not having shot a rifle in months), and he got that down to a hole about the size of a half dollar after that.

He did ok with the scoped Marlin 22 mag too, but needed the scope set on the lowest magnification so as not to be effected too much by the movement. Its a 3x12 power scope. I have to get him out for more practice but as I said he did ok, and had we been squirrel hunting he would have bagged a few. Even he said he needed more practice with that rifle - that is a good omen promising more range outings together soon.

The only other thing I shot was one of my Beretta 92Fs. I have not shot that in almost a year maybe longer, I am guessing. I did pretty darned good. At 25 yards, standing, unsupported two hand hold, I got two groups of 15 shots all within the spread of my average sized hand - not real fast but at a good pace certainly within a qualification time. At 15 yards I shot another full mag, two hand hold. The group closed in quite a bit more to a single large hole (about the size of a silver dollar or a little smaller with two flyers just a bit off the main group). Then at 10 yards, 2 full mags, one right handed one left handed, one hand hold unsupported, all in the same hole (half dollar to dollar size each time with one flyer just and inch or so off the main group). Then again at 15 yards, but this time very rapid fire I kept em all pretty much centered (less than a 3 inch spread from left to right) but up and down a bit more (maybe a spread of 6 inches vertically) on a 10"X10" piece of paper. That had me happy enough - no timer needed, let me just assure you I unloaded the mag pretty darned fast. Not the greatest shooting since the invention of the gun, but loads of fun and pretty satisfying. I can focus on the front sight of my pistols with my reading glasses but they don't do as good for the Ruger 10/22. I shot up about 200 rounds of 9mm in about 15-20 minutes of time that I had to shoot in.

Not a bad evening that is for sure. We both enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. After shooting we sat up front and each had a soda while we looked at some gun magazines. Then off to home. I cannot wait to go again. Hopefully next weekend, or if not then the weekend after at the latest. Twice a month would be a good thing. I am hoping for the outdoor range next time, where for about the same money I can shoot all day long.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What a great way to start the year. We should all do that. Going to the range always seems to be the best stress releiver!

:madeuce: :uzi:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Glad that you had fun. Brendan is lucky to have you as a Dad.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is lucky when I am not yelling at him for something - my temper is not what is could be. We, or I, had a bit of a blowout with him yesterday and I figured I had better make it up to him today. It went well and is good therapy and stress relief indeed. We need more of the together stuff, and the range is great for that. Thanks for the nice words...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
New Years eve I practiced with the other members of our shooting team. New Years day I had range time on the 200 yard rifle range, and today due to the cold I shot on the indoor range. Yup, 3 days strait (not to mention I even went to the gym today for a workout!)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Egads, back to working out tomorrow on the treadmill!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If all goes well Mabu will be at the range Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hasher will be at the range a lot on 05.

5 LFI classes scheduled.

3 Suarez international classes scheduled.

plus all teh NRA classes I can fit in.

And if i can a trip to Gunsire ot Thunder Ranch if time allows.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
I've got 400 rds of .44 to load and am waiting for a replacement transfer bar for my Vaquero. Yes, those things can break after about 20,000 rds down range and gawd knows how much dry firing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
And just got back from the indoor range today!!! Had some real fun with my 10/22. I picked up a Butler Creek hot lips loading tool (it loads their 25 round mags in SECONDS, as they said it would.)

All the while stupekid sits in front of his PC pushing out stupid post:) That's his problem, not mine!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
My time so far this year has been with a bow....

Javelina season is here.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aah, yet another range day today. Qualifications for work, but shooting nonetheless and, of course, anyday shooting beats a day of regular work by a long shot...

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Aslan said:
My time so far this year has been with a bow....

Javelina season is here.

aslan! if you really want to take a javelina with a bow[the best of luck]

come on down to my house and set on the ROOF and i WILL INSTRUCT MISS COLLEEN TO BAIT THEM WITH PUMKINS[they go gonzo, for that!]

maybe a dumb-waiter hastey rigged for COLD BEER!

just DON'T fletch "SPIKE"

and we'll get along just fine! :dgrin:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Aslan said:
Is that a POINTED question?

I think Magnum was just trying to throw you off course.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Glenn, your problem is that you don't have a job you enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ah, another evening at the range. I just came back from shooting at the indoor range (way to cold out side, I mean way way...)

I used my Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22, it's a snubby, to practice left and right handed draws and DA work. I carry a Smith J alot and the little Pathfinder is a jewel for practice. It's stainless, rather old, but still shoots fine. With the 2 inch barrel it fits my J holster and I can really practice.

Ah, it was a good pratice session.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Garand,

Yeah you are right about that, my job over the last several years has really sucked Used to be a good job, then got bad, then worse to the point where even a cynical pessimist like me figured it could only get better, then 18 months ago it became unbearable. If I didn't already have 25 years plus of government service, I'd look for another job. As it is I can retire in October at 62%. If it gets better, or if I get number (how did Pink Floyd say it: Comfortably Numb - I think) then I stay an extra couple of years to get my pension up to 66%. That is my goal, but once in the KMA club (Kiss My Arse Club) I can go whenever I want. That makes it bearable a bit.

I see though that maybe you have or had a job you like from the looks of that pic. Did you do that? Wow, very impressive. I always wanted to blow up some things for fun, good safe fun of course, but living in NY makes even good safe fun with explosives prohibitive. If I ever move out west again, maybe in a state like AZ, I can have some fun out in the desert.

Like I said though, shooting does beat a good day at work - at least for me.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
I am currently employed as an Explosives technician at a Defence Research Facility. Its fascinating work and I never leave the job frustrated! I understand about frustration, I spent 28 years in uniform and eventually I could no longer blow sunshine up my young soldiers derierres. It does look at times to the casual uninformed observer that the Canadian Army's worst enemy is the political party in power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts