Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
distraction, possible poor grip-causer. So get the sort of ducktail that is FITTED to the frame, and tie it down with a tiny roll of masking tape, trapped between the safety and the housing, when you assemble the housing to the gun. The tip of your knife can be inserted between those two parts and the tape thereby ripped out of the gun, before you subject it to scrutiny by those who help pos's like asswipe sue you.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
IIRC it used to be a common practice to drill & pin the grip safety in place.
Seems logical to me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
and I don't see any legal reason why you couldn't do it. The USP with the safety only variant doesn't have a grip safety. If it's a justified kill, as long as your weapon is legal, it shouldn't matter. Worst case scenario is they would say you were out looking to kill someone... as long as you weren't an instigator you should be A-OK.

I think.
cheers

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys like Ayoob claim that a prosecutor or criminal attorney will try to turn it against you with a jury, but I'd have no trouble justifying having done so, and any attorney who couldn't do so shouldn't be the one that you are using.

I wouldn't use the pin crap, tho, just because it's more hassle than is the roll of tape, and the tape DOES give you the option of removing it, while keeping the gun in service, and it doesn't require any changing-marking of the parts, in case you want to sell it someday.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
andy said:
Guys like Ayoob claim that a prosecutor or criminal attorney will try to turn it against you with a jury, but I'd have no trouble justifying having done so, and any attorney who couldn't do so shouldn't be the one that you are using.

I wouldn't use the pin crap, tho, just because it's more hassle than is the roll of tape, and the tape DOES give you the option of removing it, while keeping the gun in service, and it doesn't require any changing-marking of the parts, in case you want to sell it someday.
Quite true on both counts.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
yeah, I argued the same point with my CCW instructor who was one of the first female grads from LFI and she said the same thing... and also used that as justification why she wouldn't use her customized 1911 for self defense. You modify the weapon to make it deadlier. Jeez... I imagine that if I made a knife and killed someone with it in self defense, I might be in a heap o trouble?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basically, the sort of atttacks such SHEEP are talking about defending against, any agile male could handle with a walking stick. If you really NEED to fire your pistol, you couldn't care less about court bs. If you are scared of criminal court, simply dont hang around to be locked up, and take adequate precautions against ever again being "found". Civil court, you can duck by not having any non portable assets in your name, or in the name of anyone "tracable" to you, that's all. When the attorney sees that his 30% of your assets = ZERO $, he aint wasting his time on you.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I went through LFI also, and I understand the logic. At the same time, though, it can be argued that pinning the grip safety makes the weapon safer because, as long as the four rules are followed, it is one less unnecessary mechanical device that must be negotiated, and that must not fail, for the shot to go where intended.

Personally, I do not deactivate my grip safety. In the minds of the average non-gunny juror, it is more likely I think that he will be swayed by the argument that deactivating any safety is dangerous (without regard to the facts behind the arguments) than by the suggestion that deactivating it renders the weapon - or perhaps the firing sequence - safer.

Bottom line is that all you are doing by deciding NOT to pin the safety is PERHAPS reducing one small factor that will come into play if you are prosecuted or sued for using your weapon in defense. I often read folks saying that since it's only one factor among many, it is unimportant. I tend to think that all are important, not by itself but when added to all the other factors that can be prepared for, because by maximizing your benefit from as many small factors as possbile you end up increasing your odds overall.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
This was a good post with some useful information. To bad you had to sully it by insulting another board member.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Being able to return the weapon to "factory" condition prior to scrutiny is definitely a good idea. Just because the jurors are most likely very stupid about guns, and this gives them one less thing to have to "think" about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts